Rachel Barduson, Contributing Columnist
1919, 100 years ago: The Howard Theatre, moving motion picture house of Alexandria, has been bought by H. J. Longaker, who moved to Alexandria from Knoxville, Iowa. The Howard, being the only theater in the city, has a very good business. The former manager, C.P. Hanke, made quite a reputation in the quality of the pictures shown here and was very up-to-date in his pictures.
1919, 100 years ago: There will be a barn dance at the Oscar Gahlon farm three miles north of Nelson and six miles northeast of Alexandria. Quite a number from Kensington attended the celebration at Glenwood on the Fourth. On account of bad roads, most of the people went by train. A large number spent the day at the lakes. Fishing has been very good the past few days. Large catches have been reported. One party reports catching a 7-pound bass in Red Rock Lake.
1919, 100 years ago: Mr. Thiessen, of the Thiessen Pickle Factory, says that on account of getting started late and on account of damage to cucumber crops by cutworms, the Alexandria factory will not be built this year, but all cucumbers raised will be bought anyhow, and next year Mr. Thiessen expects to build a factory in Alexandria. Boy Wanted! 18 years of age or over. One who is not afraid of work. Must be a live wire all the time. This is a good chance for the right party. If you think this is "YOU" stop in tomorrow morning at The "Spot Cash" Eagle.
1919, 100 years ago: Fergus Falls is in ruins as a result of a fearful tornado which hit the city on Sunday, June 22. The large Grand Hotel is just a pile of bricks, mortar and splinters and more than 30 people lost their lives in that building alone. Something like 300 of the finest residences in Fergus are strewn over the prairies or heaped up in piles of kindling wood. Of the N.P. Depot, only the floor remains. The courthouse and jail are in complete ruins and every church in the city is down. The Fergus Falls Brewery was completely smashed.
1919, 100 years ago: Hon. H. Birkhofer of Alexandria announces that he is to build a new brick building this summer on the site of the Wegener brewery and that he will be ready to do milling early in the fall. The brewery was started in 1876 by Rudolph Wegener. In 1901, the Rd. Wegener Brewing Co. was organized and took charge of the business. The property will now be converted into a milling establishment. An Anglo-American Marvel mill with a capacity of 65,000 bushels yearly will be installed together with up-to-date improvements and wheat cleaning machinery.
1919, 100 years ago: "Eyes of the World," the most widely read of Harold Bell Wright's books, will be shown at the Howard Theatre in Alexandria. Wright is America's best known present-day author. His heroes and heroines are real and are patterned after real people. That is why his stories grip the readers. Admission prices will be 25 cents and 50 cents plus war tax. The Equity picnic at Holmes City was a great success with between 1,200 and 1,500 people attending from all parts of Douglas County and from the counties of Grant and Pope.
1919, 100 years ago: The Park Region State Bank has purchased the building on Main Street next door south of the Howard Movie Theatre in Alexandria. The building is at present occupied and used as a confectionery. It was formerly the Farmers National Bank before that institution built its new bank on the corner of Main Street and Sixth Avenue. The building contains a vault and will be ready for occupancy by the new farmer-owned bank by July 1. The price paid by the farmers for this building is $9,100.
1919, 100 years ago: In Raiter's grove on the shores of Lake Winona, the Public Schools of Alexandria will present a historical pageant entitled "America Past and Present." This is the annual music festival of the school and the children of all grades will take part to the number of 600. The pageant will present in song and drill the history of our country from the days of the Aborigines to the present. The entire pageant will be presented in costume to make the episode most real.
1919, 100 years ago: The Park Region State Bank, owned by farmers of Douglas and surrounding counties, has been notified that the application for a charter has been approved by the State Securities Commission. The new bank will be on the corner of 6th Avenue and Main Street, the best corner in the city of Alexandria. In Carlos Township: The cornerstone in the new German Lutheran church will be laid and the address will be given by Rev. Kleveno of Leaf Valley.
1919, 100 years ago: Mrs. Eva Emerson Wold, widow of Hon. Mr. Carl E. Wold, former editor of the Park Region Echo, was appointed Douglas County Superintendent of Schools. She will fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Geo. Susens, who is to take a position with the Jacobson's in the Farmers National Bank of Alexandria.