Track and field: Alexandria qualifies seven for the state meet after day one of sections
The Cardinals will host the Section 8AA finals now on Saturday with field events starting at 9:30 a.m. and track events beginning at 10.
DETROIT LAKES — The Alexandria track and field team already has seven athletes who have secured their spot at the state meet after the first of two days of the Section 8AA meet.
The Cardinals host the finals on Saturday, but they were in Detroit Lakes on Wednesday where Emma Ecker (second place, 3200 run), Hailie Kent (first place, long jump), Alison Krasky (second place, long jump), Will Heydt (first place, triple jump), Sophia Vinje (first place, discus), Amaria Sowada (second place, discus), and Joey Lanoux (second place, shot put) all earned bids into the state tournament that will take place June 9-11.
Additional Alexandria athletes who finished in the top eight of final events on Wednesday included Joe Brault (third), Harrison Greathouse (fourth) and Landon Runge (eighth) in the 3200-meter run. Elise Magaard was also sixth in the discus.
The Alexandria girls currently have 47 team points after day one of the section meet with four events scored. Willmar is second at 24. The Fergus Falls boys have 38 points going into day two, while Alexandria has 30 in second place.
Field events start at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday at Alexandria Area High School, while track events begin at 10 a.m.
Listed below are Alexandria athletes who advanced from Wednesday’s prelims into final events on Saturday.
- 100m: Hailie Kent, Addison Fettig, Kaija Schneider, Christian Doumbia, Venald Becker
- 200m: Miah Wessel, Kaie Emter, Christian Doumbia, Daniel Jackson
- 400m: Elena Fuglestad, Alison Krasky, Miah Wessel, Christian Doumbia, Evan Kludt
- 800m: Jaelyn Miller, Kasey Soderholm, Greta Oldenkamp, Riley Wagner, Owen Draper
- 110m Hurdles: Sam Williams, Otto Anderson
- 300m Hurdles: Sophia Korynta, Marisa Rousu, Gavin Ashmore, Otto Anderson, Logan Peterson