1911, 109 years ago: The Park Region Echo reported: “While in Alexandria, John Arntson of Moe, paid the Echo office a very interesting visit. He was one of the earliest settlers of Moe, and his experience is better than a novel. The beauty of it is that the story is true and for that reason should offer valuable lessons to the people now growing up to fill the places soon to be left vacant by the pioneers who blazed the way for civilization in these Minnesota wilds...”
1970, 50 years ago: Any dog lover will be glad to hear the news that the old Alexandria dog pound, located at the city dump, will no longer be in use, thanks to the new facilities at the Alexandria Veterinary Clinic which is located on Hwy 52 West across from the Williams Brothers Pipeline. The clinic, operated by Dr. Gene Karnis and Dr. Robert P. Lohrenz, has a complete medication and instrument section, along with two exam rooms, a surgery room, a surgery prep room, a feed room and dog kennel.
More than 2,500 people attended the open house of the Lakeview Farms facility in Ida Township. Owned by the Kronfeldt Brothers – Clifford, Eugene and Rupert – this is one of the most modern dairy-operations in the country. The Kronfeldt herd was started in 1912 and is the oldest Jersey herd in Minnesota with 120 purebred Jersey milk cows.
1995, 25 years ago: The trail is open! Bolstered by a $20,000 contribution by the Alexandria Sertoma Club, Central Lakes Trail organizers announced a breakthrough: “The trail is now officially open for pedestrian and primitive bicycling usage.” Located in the old Burlington Northern Railroad bed, the trail runs through the heart of Douglas County, stretching from Osakis to the Lake Christina public access. Right now, the trail is pretty rough, containing only a light amount of gravel surface. But, with more donations and matching federal and state funds, organizers hope to blacktop the trail by late summer of 1998.
Sandy Alvstad, who teaches English, speech and mass communications for West Central Area High School in Barrett, is among 34 teachers named as semi-finalists, or Teachers of Excellence, for the 1995 Minnesota Teachers of the Year award.
2010, 10 years ago: The Minnesota Pharmacists Association has selected Gregory W. Trumm as the recipient of the 2010 Bowl of Hygeia Award for outstanding community service. The award is the most widely recognized international symbol for the pharmacy profession and is considered their most prestigious award.
City officials, construction managers, police officers and more were present for the official groundbreaking of the new Alexandria Police station.
Just for fun 1970 – 50 years ago: Great bargains and beautiful weather combined to make this year’s Crazy Days in Alexandria a real traffic-jammer as thousands of people took advantage of the promotion.
1995, 25 years ago: A long line of library supporters stretched all the way from the steps of the old Douglas County Library (Carnegie Building) to the new library site. Children’s books were moved from shelves in the old library to the corner of 7th and Fillmore – across the cordoned-off intersection – and then across to the new library in the County Services Center where they were placed on new shelving. The “book brigade” signaled the opening of the new Douglas County Library.
Sports trivia 1995 – 25 years ago: At least seven members of the 1994 Class AA runner-up football team will be playing college football this fall. R.J. Nodland signed with St. Cloud State University; Nick Heydt signed with the University of North Dakota; Chris Howell will attend Concordia College in Moorhead; Andy Quist will play for Carleton College; Tony Loween and Bob Zacher will attend Bethel and Bill Zacher will attend St. John’s University.
Rachel Barduson of Alexandria is a regular contributing columnist to the Echo Press Opinion page.