New commissioners sworn in
It's a new year for the Douglas County Board as the two newly-elected commissioners were sworn in Tuesday morning at the board's annual organizational meeting.
Vicki Doehling, the county's elections administrator, conducted the ceremonial oath for Heather Larson and Tim Kalina, who were voted in last November to serve as Douglas County commissioners.
Commissioner Charlie Meyer was elected board chairman, with Keith Englund being elected as vice chairman.
In his new role as chairman, Meyer made his first appointment, naming county coordinator Heather Schlangen as the board's secretary/clerk. Although it was an appointment, it was still voted on by the commissioners. It passed by a 4-1 vote, with Larson voting against it.
The county board took action on several other items during its organizational meeting and special meeting, which both took place Tuesday, Jan. 8:
• Approved meeting dates and times for the 2019 calendar year.
• Approved committee meetings for the commissioners.
• Approved the Echo Press as the official newspaper of the county for publication of all its required legal notices.
• Approved 14 financial institutions as depositories and/or investment brokers of funds for Douglas County during the upcoming year.
• Approved a bid from Shutter's Tire and Auto for the vehicle maintenance of Douglas County vehicles.
• Approved paying yearly dues to the National Association of Counties, $720, and Association of Minnesota Counties, $16,578.
• Approved donations to the Douglas County SWAT Team from Jeffery and Deborah Callaghan, Douglas and Lori Dewey, Richard and Diane Trisko, Derek and Rebecca Maffei, Eric and Jennifer Vangstad and Amy Budge.
• Approved a donation from the Minnesota Sheriff's Association for the Douglas County Honor Guard.