Update: More cancellations and postponements
In addition to all of the public school districts in the area closing for a second straight day on Friday, the winter weather -- on April 12, no less -- has caused a few other changes.
* The United Way of Douglas & Pope Counties' "Women, Wine & Water," which was scheduled for Friday night, has been postponed to Sunday, April 14. The event is from 4-7 p.m. at Gathered Oaks.
* The showing of the Prairie Fire Children's Theatre production of "Beauty and the Beast" featuring 57 Alexandria area school children has canceled one of its two performances. The curtain will go up on the play at noon Saturday, April 13, at the Discovery Middle School auditorium. A second showing, at 9 a.m., was called off.
* The first showing of the Alexandria Area High School spring play, "She Kills Monsters," on Friday night was canceled. Opening night will instead be Saturday at 7:30 p.m. at the performing arts center.
* Alexandria Meals and Wheels is closed Friday, as are the Alexandria Senior Center and Douglas County Historical Society.
* The Nativity scene of "History on 3rd" along 3rd Avenue in Alexandria that had been scheduled for Friday has been canceled.
* The Thursday night showing of "Mamma Mia" at the Andria Theatre was postponed to 2 p.m. Saturday.
* A fish fry at St. Mary's School in Alexandria that was scheduled for Friday night has been canceled.