The last big weekend of summer travel is fast approaching, and with it comes reminders from the Minnesota Department of Transportation to use extra caution over Labor Day weekend.
That is followed in most areas of the state by the return to school for many children on Tuesday, and drivers are urged to be alert for more people walking and bicycling once again on area roads.
As for holiday trips, drivers may encounter bypasses, lane closures and detours. More information on road detours is available at www.511mn.org.
Following is a list of highway projects that may affect weekend or first day of school travel from Aug. 30-Sept. 3:
- Hwy 55 Barrett to the Grant/Douglas County Line – Highway 55 remains closed between Barrett and Hoffman. The road is impassable just east of Barrett while crews replace the bridge over the Pomme de Terre River, with traffic being detoured to Highways 59 to 27. There are alternating lane closures between Hoffman and the Grant/Douglas County line. The $5.3 million project is expected to be completed by the end of September.
- Hwy 10, 59 in Otter Tail County – Alternating lane closures
- Highway 27 Little Falls – Closed, detour through September
- Hwy 27, 75 Wheaton – Lane shifts and/or alternating lane closures
- Highway 40 Milan – Bridge closed over Lac qui Parle Lake, detour
- Highway 40 Willmar – Road closed at CR 55, detour
- Highway 67 Granite Falls – Road closed between Upper Sioux Agency State Park entrance and Yellow Medicine River bridge, detour
- Highway 68 – Bridge closed over Lazarus Creek, detour
- I-35W Downtown to Crosstown – Northbound and southbound lane closures between I-94 and 46th Street, ramp closures
- I-35W North MnPASS – Northbound and southbound lane closures between Roseville and Blaine, ramp closures
- I-35 split in Forest Lake – Lane and ramp closures, single lane traffic
- I-494 Inver Grove Heights – Eastbound and Westbound lane closures and ramp closures
- I-94 East Metro Interchange – Lane and ramp closures through fall
- I-35 Snake River bridge replacements – County Road 7 Bridge over I-35 closed
- I-35 bridge painting – Lane closures
- Highway 2 Erskine – Ramp closures, detour
- Highway 53 south of Eveleth – Lane closures, bypass
- Highway 53 from Pale Face River to South Moon Lake Drive – Lane closures, Anchor Lake Rest Area closed through late-September
- Highway 53 Intersection improvement, passing lanes project – Lane closures
- Highway 53 bridge removal, resurfacing – Single lane in each direction
- Highway 65 resurfacing – Single lane, 80,000 weight restriction, 11-foot width restriction
- Highway 71 roundabout – Lane closure, detour
- Highway 135 resurfacing – Shoulder closures, single lane, 11-foot width restriction
- Highway 371 Cass Lake – Truck and local detour
- I-90 Freeborn County – Single lane traffic in each direction, reduced speeds, ramp closures and detours
- I-90 Fairmont to Blue Earth – Single lane traffic, reduced speeds and overpass bridge
- Highway 60 St. James – Single lane traffic in each direction
- Hwy 16 Spring Valley to Dexter – Hwy 16 detoured from Hwy 63 to I-90 through Sept. 6