Three local departments extinguish silo fire in Nelson
More than 200,000 gallons of water and eight hours later, the flames were put out.
The Alexandria Fire Department, Carlos Fire Department and Osakis Fire Department all responded to a silo fire Sunday evening, April 18.
Around 5:30 p.m., a call was received about an abandoned residence fire at 7617 County Road 82 SE in Nelson.
Firefighters from the three departments responded to the blaze until about 1:30 a.m., according to Alexandria Fire Chief Jeff Karrow. Since the storage space hadn't been used for years, Karrow said the combination of dried silage, twigs and pigeon excrement may have caused the spontaneous combustion. No arson is suspected.
Karrow estimated a total of about 250,000 gallons of water were doused on the flames in the eight-hour period and remarked it was the largest water shuttle he had seen in the 28 years of his career.