Storm recovery event planned for July 7 at the Douglas County Administration Building
All residents impacted by the tornados and storms in May are encouraged to attend.
DOUGLAS COUNTY — Douglas County residents impacted by the May tornadoes and storms are encouraged to attend the Douglas County Storm Recovery Center event July 7. The event will take place at the Douglas County Administration building, 821 Cedar Street, in Alexandria from 2 to 7 p.m.
Those in attendance will be able to:
- Apply for a grant up to $1,200 from the Greater Alexandria Area of Realtors to help with mortgage or rent payments.
- Learn what is available from the Salvation Army, which can provide assistance with gas, groceries and utility payments.
- Connect with the American Red Cross if your home was significantly damaged, providing you having already done so.
- Visit with West Central Minnesota Communities Action to learn what type of housing assistance may be available through the Response Fund.
- Learn how Region IV South Mental Health Consortium conducts mental health assessments to better guide you to the most appropriate services.
- Learn what programs offered through Horizon Public Health may now be appropriate for you.
There will also be information available on furniture available through the Habitat for Humanity ReStore, how to best dispose of household items damaged in the storms, how to determine if a tree can be saved or needs to be cut down and guidance on choosing a contractor.
Personal care item packages available
Mary Becker, a local Avon representative, has care packages available that have been donated by the company for those impacted by the storms. Packages include bar soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, lip balm, deodorant and a few other supplies. Packages can be picked up in Forada at 12350 Forada Beach Road or by calling 320-760-2138.