ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Out of the ashes: Compassion

The loss still hasn't sunk in for the James and Connie Lawrie family of Alexandria. They lost practically everything they owned in an early morning fire Sunday - their house at 1320 Bryant Street and their personal belongings. But what is sinking...

The loss still hasn't sunk in for the James and Connie Lawrie family of Alexandria.

They lost practically everything they owned in an early morning fire Sunday - their house at 1320 Bryant Street and their personal belongings.

But what is sinking in is the amazing generosity from the community.

Their church, Covenant Church at 4005 Dakota Street (near Target), has set up a collection site where residents have been dropping off clothes and other supplies.

People have also been offering prayers and comforting words of support, said James Lawrie when contacted by the newspaper Wednesday night.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We feel so much love and compassion from the community," he said.

The family is also deeply grateful for their rescuers - neighbor Kacie Mercil and her friends who were celebrating a birthday when they noticed flames shooting out of the roof of the Lawrie home. They ran over to the house, woke the sleeping family up and helped everyone get outside just minutes before the roof of the home collapsed.

Since then, the family has been living out of a hotel, making endless phone calls, meeting with insurance adjusters and planning what to do next.

"It's been a whirlwind," James said.

The Lawries and their two daughters, ages 6 and 13, have lived in the area for about seven years.

The family has found out more information about the 2:30 a.m. fire that gutted their home, their first house, which they bought about four years ago.

One of the fire inspectors told them the fire likely started when a box of Christmas tree ornaments or an artificial tree in the attic near the chimney ignited.

The fire burned for an hour or more before neighbors spotted the flames and called 911. When firefighters arrived six to eight minutes later, the roof had already started to collapse.

ADVERTISEMENT

What hasn't collapsed is the support and compassion from the community, said James, who is originally from Lakeville.

"From what I'm seeing in Alexandria," he said, "I wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world."

How to help

Donated items such as clothes and supplies are being collected at Covenant Church in Alexandria for the James and Connie Lawrie family who lost their home in a fire Sunday. Clothes sizes: James - 38-inch waist; XL shirt; Connie - medium large tops; 6-year-old girl - size 7; 13-year-old girl - junior size 5.

Related Topics: FIRES
Al Edenloff is the editor of the twice-weekly Echo Press. He started his journalism career when he was in 10th grade, writing football and basketball stories for the Parkers Prairie Independent.
What To Read Next
A certificate of compliance is an inspection that was conducted within five years on a new installation of a septic system or three years on an existing system.
Ebacco's operating manager, Len Worthington, is so concerned about the issue, he brought it to the attention of administrators at Alexandria Area High School.
The warrant was issued after Cole Michelson failed to appear for a hearing at Douglas County District Court on Wednesday, Jan. 25.
Tonya Bakewell Dreher will be honored during an online ceremony March 8.