We see that you have javascript disabled. Please enable javascript and refresh the page to continue reading local news. If you feel you have received this message in error, please contact the customer support team at 1-833-248-7801.



How a rural North Dakota bank robbery led to the capture of 1 of the FBI's Ten Most Wanted Fugitives

A crime spree spanning seven states in the 1980s met its end in northwest Minnesota after a bank robbery in Drayton, North Dakota.

A police car is parked across the street from Drayton State Bank.
A police car is parked across from Drayton State Bank after it was robbed on Feb. 19, 1987.
Contributed / State Historical Society of North Dakota
We are part of The Trust Project.

FARGO — It was 35 years ago Saturday, Feb. 19, that a bizarre bank robbery orchestrated by a notorious criminal took place in an unlikely location.

A mustached man wears the black and red robes of the "Aryan Nations" white supremacist group.
Bank robber Thomas Harrelson wearing his Aryan Nations outfit. Harrelson was a white supremacist.
Contributed / State Historical Society of North Dakota

That location was Drayton, North Dakota. The notorious criminal was Thomas Harrelson, 29, who was on the FBI’s Ten Most Wanted List. Harrelson, an expert with firearms and explosives, was also a member of “Aryan Nations,” a white supremacist group.

Harrelson served time in prison for a 1981 bank robbery in California and was wanted for robbing banks in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Minnesota, Illinois and Arkansas.

The armed robbery in Illinois took place at the First National Bank of Rossville on Aug. 1, 1986. Harrelson and another man got away with $50,000. After the holdup, Harrelson and his accomplice started firing at a pursuing police car, leaving it full of bullet holes. The two men escaped, abandoned their car and torched it.

The armed robbery in Arkansas took place on Jan. 13, 1987, at the Worthen Bank and Trust in Little Rock. Harrelson escaped with $11,000. However, during that holdup, he accidentally shot himself in the leg and couldn’t walk.


A struggling 22-year-old woman named Cynthia Ehrlich met Harrelson in Little Rock a few months before that robbery. Ehrlich was broke, living in her car, and a single mother of a 2-year-old daughter. She thought Harrelson was strong, considerate and charming. She fell in love with Harrelson and moved in with him. At the time, she didn’t know anything about his criminal past.

A blonde man looks downward.
Stuart Skarda leaves Fargo Federal Court in 1987, right after he was convicted of robbing the Drayton State Bank.
WDAY file photo

After the Little Rock bank robbery, Harrelson badly needed medical treatment for his wounded leg. He chose not to go to a hospital because he was wanted by the FBI. So, Harrelson, Ehrlich, and another man — Stuart Skarda, 28, who met Harrelson in prison — drove to the Red Lake Indian Reservation in northern Minnesota because Harrelson had some friends there. His friends were unable to treat or assist him.

They then drove to the Fargo-Moorhead area, where they stayed in several hotels. During that time, they spent all their money from the Little Rock bank robbery. So, with Harrelson unable to walk without crutches and the group out of money, Harrelson and Skarda decided Ehrlich should rob the Drayton State Bank.

They chose that bank because of its remote location, with few law enforcement officers nearby. Drayton, with a population of roughly 800, is located in northeastern North Dakota, about 30 miles south of the Canadian border. Drayton is probably best known for its American Crystal Sugar beet factory.

“I loved him, and I knew we were in a tight spot. I felt like he can’t do anything,” Ehrlich told me in an exclusive interview for WDAY-TV in 1987. “He was depending on me. I just felt like I couldn’t let him down. I felt pressured. I felt like I didn’t have any choice.”

The night before the planned robbery, the three of them stayed at the Best Budget Inn in West Fargo and rehearsed the holdup.

“Tom and Stuart showed me how to walk and how to act,“ Ehrlich said. “I would walk out of the bathroom in the hotel room and Tom would be sitting in his chair. I would come all dressed up and hand the bag to him like he was the teller and take out the gun. I practiced that about four or five times.”

Feb. 19, 1987, was a very busy day at Drayton State Bank because American Crystal workers got paid that day.


A woman with curly brown hair stands in the foreground. A mustached man with sunglasses stands in the background.
Cynthia Ehrlich, escorted by a deputy U.S. Marshal, enters Federal Court in Fargo in 1987 after she was charged with robbing the Drayton State Bank.
WDAY file photo

At about 2 p.m., Ehrlich, wearing a white ski mask, entered the bank and walked up to bank teller Cindy French. Ehrlich put a duffel bag on the counter and gave French a note that said, “Open both drawers. Fill the bag.”

“She didn’t say anything,” French said. “She showed me her gun. She had it hidden by the bag on the counter. I gave her the money out of my drawer and the one next to me.”

Ehrlich walked out of the bank with $2,807. French was stunned.

“I was in shock. I was very scared,“ French said. “You just don’t expect that, especially in a small town. I went to Kelly’s office (Bank President Kelly Dakken) and said we were robbed. I was shaking. He got up, and I said, ‘Don’t go after them. She’s got a gun.’”

A smiling man in a suit poses for a photo
Kelly Dakken, president of the Drayton State Bank in 1987.
Contributed / Shauna Dakken

Dakken ignored French’s warning. He, Bob Merrill and Dave Marciniak chased after Ehrlich. Merrill was an insurance agent who worked in the bank, and Marciniak was a bank customer who just happened to be there at the time.

“I walked out of the bank and turned around in the alley, and the banker was following me,“ Ehrlich said. “So, I did what Tom told me to do. I turned around and pulled out the gun, and I told him to stop and go back into the bank, and he just stood there.”

Dakken stopped moving. Ehrlich then headed to the getaway car where Harrelson and Skarda were waiting for her.

“I ran into the car and got in, and I started crying,” Ehrlich said. “I told Tom I was never going to do this again, and he goes, ‘All right. You don’t have to.’ He said, ‘Just shut up and get down.’ And he pushed me down on the floorboard.”


Meanwhile, Dakken flagged down passing motorist Rita Westerson, of Drayton.

“I had been up at the phone company, and I saw Kelly Dakken running down the alley and I thought, 'what in hell is he doing,'” Westerson told the Grand Forks Herald. “I pulled up, and this red car came from behind me and went around me. Kelly jumped in and said, ‘Follow that car,’ so we did.”

Without hesitation, Westerson stepped on the gas of her 1974 Mercury Cougar and sped off. She and Dakken pursued the getaway car, a Ford Grenada, for about 20 miles on blacktop roads at speeds of up to 125 miles per hour.

“I had a bald tire. I never told Kelly,” Westerson told the Associated Press. “I never thought that old bomb would go that fast, but I stayed right with him.”

“She’s a good driver. She’s very spunky,” Dakken told the Grand Forks Herald. “Sure, I’d ride with her again.”

Inside the getaway car, Skarda gave Harrelson and Ehrlich some of the stolen money in case they got separated.

On Minnesota Highway 220, south of the Drayton area, the Grenada left the road and got stuck in a ditch. Dakken ran into a nearby farmhouse to call authorities while Westerson stayed in her car to watch the three suspects.

Skarda got out of the car and waved down a grain truck driven by Clayton Pokrzywinski from Lankin, North Dakota. Also in the truck were Clayton’s wife, Janet, and their two granddaughters, ages 3 years and 6 months. The Pokrzywinskis were unaware of the bank robbery in Drayton. Skarda asked Clayton Pokrzywinski to tow him out of the ditch, which he agreed to do.

At that point, a police car appeared in the distance.

Harrelson brandished a handgun, and he, Skarda and Ehrlich got in the truck. Harrelson ordered Clayton Pokrzywinski to start driving, and off went the crowded truck.

A woman in red holds a baby and a man in flannel holds a small child who sucks her thumb.
From left, Janet and Clayton Pokrzywinski hold their granddaughters after the four were held hostage by bank robbers outside Drayton, North Dakota, in February 1987.
Contributed / State Historical Society of North Dakota

“I was really afraid for the little girls,” Janet Pokrzywinski told WDAZ-TV. “I tried to get the girls out, at least. I said, ‘Let me out with the girls and you take the truck and go.’ They wouldn’t hear of it. They said, 'We can’t do that.'”

“I was wondering who they were and what they did,” Clayton Pokrzywinski, now 85, said. “They had a map and knew where they were going. … What bothered me was something might happen to my grandchildren. I was scared for them.”

Clayton Pokrzywinski came upon two roadblocks but drove around them.

“They said, ‘Just keep driving. Don’t stop. We’ll tell you when to stop,’” he said. “They said if I tried to get away, they would kill all four of us.”

Two police officers stand in the snow near a large green truck.
Police officers find a gun from one of the bank robbers outside the grain truck that held the robbers and hostages following the 1987 robbery of Drayton State Bank.
Contributed / State Historical Society of North Dakota

With seven police cars in pursuit, Clayton Pokrzywinski kept driving for nine tense miles over 20 excruciating minutes. Four miles west of Argyle, Minnesota, police officers shot out the rear tires of the truck, and he drove the vehicle into a ditch.

Police surrounded the truck and the three robbers surrendered without incident. Nobody was injured.

Harrelson and Skarda each threw a gun into the snow, but police found those weapons. Police searched Skarda and found in his pocket a box of 50 live cartridges for a .22-caliber weapon. Also recovered was the $2,807 stolen in the bank robbery.

“This could have turned out a lot worse,” Clayton Pokrzywinski said. “I felt so good for my wife and granddaughters.”

A man in an orange jumpsuit maneuvers with crutches.
Thomas Harrelson enters Federal Court in Fargo after being charged with robbing Drayton State Bank in 1987.
WDAY file photo

Harrelson pleaded guilty to the Drayton robbery and robberies in five other states. He was sentenced to 34 years in prison but was released in 2003 after serving 16 years.

Skarda pleaded not guilty to the Drayton robbery and went on trial in Federal Court in Fargo. Harrelson testified that Skarda had nothing to do with the bank robbery. Ehrlich testified that Skarda planned and participated in it. After 13 hours of deliberations, the jury found Skarda guilty of armed bank robbery, taking hostages, assault and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. He was sentenced to 19 years in prison.

Ehrlich pleaded guilty in Fargo Federal Court to armed bank robbery and was sentenced to six years in prison.

A woman with curly brown hair sits for an interview.
Cynthia Ehrlich sits for an interview with Jim Shaw in 1987 at the Clay County Jail after she pleaded guilty to robbing Drayton State Bank.
WDAY file photo

“I’m very ashamed of what I did,” Ehrlich said. “I let so many people down. I let my little girl down. I let my parents down. … I don’t think Tom ever loved me. He was just using me.”

“I was pretty lucky,” said French, the bank teller who was robbed. “I will never forget this incident. It’s something I hope I will never go through again. Once in a lifetime is plenty.”

Dakken was stunned to find out that one of the bank robbers was on the FBI’s Ten Most Wanted list.

A few days after the robbery, he said, “As far as I was concerned, I was chasing some young girl with a gun. If I had known who was in the car, or else a little more details, I certainly wouldn’t have been chasing them.”

A woman with short hair poses for a portrait.
Karen Schumacher, Senior Vice President of KodaBank in Drayton.
Contributed / Karen Schumacher

The Drayton State Bank is now called KodaBank. Dakken died from cancer in 1994 at age 47. Karen Schumacher was a part-time employee working at the bank when it was robbed. She still works there and is now Senior Vice President.

“It was very unnerving at the time,“ Schumacher said. “We were thinking Kelly was a little crazy for chasing the robbers, but he was also a hero to us.”

Now, 35 years after he and three other close family members were held hostage at gunpoint, Clayton Pokrzywinski has a special appreciation for how everything turned out.

“We were very, very lucky,” he said. “I will never forget this experience. It’s something I never expected. It will never leave my mind.”

InForum columnist Jim Shaw is a former WDAY TV reporter and former KVRR TV news director.
What to read next
Minnesota has its share of extreme weather: the Halloween blizzard of 1991, The Red River flooding of 1997, the Twin Cities tornado outbreak of 1965, the Comfrey-St. Peter tornado outbreak in 1998 and the 1999 'Boundary Waters Blowdown.'
"The part that is not resolved is not going to be resolved ever," the victim's daughter said after the sentencing. "He's obviously not going to admit to this at all, whatsoever."
Jaden Woodworth describes his memories of his mother, and tells how police claims drove a wedge between him and his father -- and how Dakota Spotlight's debunking of those claims might help reconnect them.
The son of Minnesota manufacturing millionaire, Haskell Bohn appeared to be a flashy guy. Unfortunately for the Bohn family in St. Paul, Bohn's flash caught the attention of the Sankey Gang, a notorious criminal organization housed out of neighboring Minneapolis.