Jeremy Vinar announces bid to unseat Rep. Mary Franson in District 8B
Vinar considers himself an "aggressive progressive" with a focus on working class Americans, and a bottom up approach to the economy.
Jeremy Vinar of Alexandria announced his candidacy to seek the DFL endorsement for Minnesota House District 8B at a DFL picnic on Saturday, Sept. 4.
The district is currently represented by Mary Franson, R-Alexandria.
He considers himself an "aggressive progressive" with a focus on working class Americans, and a bottom up approach to the economy.
"I want accountability and transparency in leadership," Vinar said in a news release. "I want the people we elect to office to represent all of their constituents, not just those who agree with partisan talking points or special interests. Most of all, I want to help people, starting with those who need it most, because I believe that's what leadership is."
Vinar said he won't allow what he believes to dictate what information he shares.
"If I find new information that counters a previous belief, my belief evolves," Vinar said. "I think a representative has an obligation to be as accurately informative as they can be, and that our current representation has fallen far short of that. I would rather pass on accurate information and have you disagree with my politics, than participate in partisan misinformation. More than that, I want to offer and work toward solutions, not use fear or place blame on others to avoid accountability."
Vinar listed some of the things he believes in:
- Creating living wage paying jobs and making/buying quality American made goods.
- Healthcare is a human right.
- Prescription drugs should be affordable to everyone who needs them.
- Responsible gun ownership.
- Listening to medical experts regarding public health.
- Reducing dependence on fossil fuels and carbon footprint.
- Protecting social security for current and future generations.
- Strengthening education, from pre-k through college, and better compensating educators.
- Reducing the costs of post-secondary education.
- Closing tax loopholes and making the richest Americans pay their fair share.
- Dispelling misinformation and disinformation.
- Providing more relief and support for farmers.
- Reforming the criminal justice system to reduce incarceration for non-violent offenders, expand access to treatment programs for substance abuse, and hold discriminatory LEOs accountable.
- Providing a more just, empathetic, and equitable society for every Minnesotan.
Vinar's website is in development but he can currently be found on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/jvfor8b/ .
--Echo Press staff