Douglas County Board approves contracts with Miltona, Evansville
The Douglas County Board approved contracts between the Douglas County Sheriff's Office and the cities of Evansville and Miltona for 20 hours of dedicated service per month.
The contracts, according to Douglas County Sheriff Troy Wolbersen, are long-standing agreements that are brought to the board on an annual basis.
He noted that the sheriff's office responds to emergencies within the two cities 24/7, but the contract allows a deputy to be assigned to the city limits for the dedicated amount of hours.
"It's a nice addition to the cities and it helps with their insurance rates," Wolbersen said.
The contracts, at a rate of $39.44 per hour, were both approved unanimously.
In other action
The Douglas County commissioners approved the following items:
• A lease agreement for eight new vehicles, all Chevrolet Equinox SUVs, for the Human Services Department. The department previously drove Ford Fusion automobiles, but they were reportedly too small for the needs of the department, according to director Laurie Bonds. The bigger vehicles are safer and have more room, she said, adding that the department budgeted for this expense.
• Peterson Highland preliminary plat, a one-lot plat in Ida Township.
• Welsh's Addition preliminary plat, a three-lot plat in Carlos Township.
• Great North Holdings' conditional use permit to allow the outdoor display of recreational/sporting equipment and outdoor furnishings/decorations for retail sale, and the outdoor storage of the same. This is in Carlos Township.
• A conditional use permit to Richard and Judith Owen to allow private vacation home rental on two contiguous properties on Lake Louise with an overnight guest capacity at each rental of 14 persons.
• A conditional use permit to Arnold and Kris Gruenes to allow a private vacation home rental on Lake Miltona with three units and 16 overnight guests in the four-bedroom main house.
The board also denied a conditional use permit to James and Michelle Florin to allow a private vacation home rental in Hudson Township with overnight guest capacity of 21. Under the county's vacation home rental ordinance, however, it allows for 12 overnight guests.
The county board tabled two other conditional use permits and sent them back to the Planning Advisory Commissioner for more information.