Fire caused significant damage to a house about three miles northwest of Miltona early Monday morning, Jan. 25.

The Douglas County Sheriff's Office received a report of the fire at the Michael Jon Kopitzke residence, 17484 E. Lake Vermont Rd. NE in Miltona Township, at 2:03 a.m.

The homeowners woke up and discovered smoke and visible flames from the eaves of the house. All of the occupants were able to safely get out of the house, according to the sheriff's office.

Deputies and the Miltona Fire Department responded and requested assistance from the Leaf Valley Fire Department and Parkers Prairie Fire Department.

Newsletter signup for email alerts

The fire is believed to have been caused by a wood burning stove inside the residence.

The house sustained significant damage, according to authorities.

The American Red Cross has been contacted and will be offering assistance to the victims.

Responding agencies included the Miltona Fire Department, Leaf Valley Fire Department, Parkers Prairie Fire Department and Parkers Prairie Ambulance.