Firefighters battle two chimney fires in Douglas County
Firefighters from five departments battled two chimney fires in Douglas County Tuesday night and early Wednesday morning.
The first fire was reported at 6:42 p.m. Tuesday at the Jonathan and Tonya Gackle home at 12731 County Road 27 on the west side of Lobster Lake near Farwell. The family was able to get out of the house and waited for responding units to arrive.
Sheriff deputies found flames coming from the roof of the residence near the chimney area.
The Brandon Fire Department, along with fire departments from Garfield, Alexandria and Kensington responded to the scene.
The fire spread from the roof to the second floor of the residence. There was extensive fire and water damage to the residence, according to the sheriff's office.
One fireman was transported by personal vehicle to Alomere Health for smoke inhalation. North Ambulance assisted at the scene.
Later, at 2:08 a.m., the Douglas County Sheriff's Office received a 911 call about a chimney fire at the Dale Kittelson home at 2510 Sandhill Lane, NE west of Carlos. Kittelson got out of the house before firefighters arrived.
Firefighters from Carlos and Alexandria saw heavy smoke inside of the residence.
The fire was contained to one area of the residence. There was extensive smoke, fire and water damage to the house, according to the sheriff's office.
On Wednesday morning, Brandon firefighters were called back to the Farwell when the fire reignited.
Both fires happened with windchills dropping well below zero.