- Amanda M. Bittmann of Alexandria was one of 3,300 winners of National Merit Scholarships announced this week. Financed by U.S. colleges and universities, these awards provide between $500 and $2,000 annually for up to four years of undergraduate study at the institution financing the scholarship. Bittman's probable career field is in mathematics.
- Xavier Pahl, son of Nicole Pahl of Osakis, received the North Dakota State University Presidential Honor Award of $10,000. The scholarship recognizes students who scored 29 to 31 on the ACT and high academic achievement. Pahl will enter NDSU in the fall and plans to major in pharmacy. In high school, he was active in cross country, track and field, Knowledge Bowl, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, choir, leadership group, United Way of Alexandria Backpack Attack, Camp Neuro, Fluid Water Challenge, Sumobots, student council and Youth Group. He also donated for the Red Cross blood drive.
- Brendan Skarpness, son of Rochelle Piehl of Alexandria and Brent Skarpness of Brooten, received the North Dakota State University Provost Award of $6,000 and the Henry Bonde Sr. and Helen Bonde Scholarship of $1,000. The scholarships recognize students who scored 25 to 28 on the ACT and high academic achievement. Skarpness will enter NDSU in the fall and plans to major in business and accounting. In high school, he was active in National Honor Society, trap league and Distributive Education Clubs of America.
- From Lake Area Tech in Watertown, South Dakota on May 8: Bailey Jean Armstrong, Kensington, dental assisting, and Madisson P. Gay, Alexandria, practical nursing.
- From Concordia College on May 3:
Alexandria: Abigail Aker (biology, chemistry and psychology); Christine Buching, summa cum laude (psychology, Spanish and neuroscience); Karsen Granning, cum laude (biology,chemistry); Graham Hegstad, summa cum laude (chemistry, biology); Andrew Johnson (biology, chemistry); Amy Jost, cum laude, (physical education, health education); Kristen Schell (social work); Marissa Senstad, summa cum laude; Thomas Whiting (business)
Farwell: Nicholas Dee, cum laude (business)
Osakis: Kirsten Olson (business) and Kiara Timmerman (psychology, chemistry)
Miltona: Sam Koegel (biology) and Jared Lind
- Amanda Reese of Alexandria and Carter Lamont of Villard were named to the Dean's List at the University of Wisconsin-Superior during the spring semester. To be named to the Dean's List, students must have completed 12 degree-seeking semester credits and achieved at least a 3.50 grade point average (on a 4.0 scale).
- Cayla Bitzan from Farwell, (health management) was named to the spring Dean's List at the University of Minnesota Crookston. To qualify for the Dean's List, students must complete 12 or more letter-graded (A-F) credits while attaining a 3.66 grade point average.
- Ridgewater College named the following area students to its Dean's List for spring semester — Alexandria: Mackenzie Craig, Elizabeth Dickmann, Sarah Frederick, Ann Larson and Sarah Trousil. Osakis: Elizabeth Drevlow. To make the Deans’ List, a student must maintain a grade point average of 3.5 or higher, take at least twelve credits, and meet certain other criteria.
- Kylie Anderson of Osakis was named to the Dean's List at the University of Mary in Bismarck, North Dakota for the spring semester. To qualify for the honor, students must earn a 3.50 or better grade point average while carrying at least 12 credit hours.
Alexandria Technical & Community College named the following students to its Dean's List for spring because they achieved a GPA of 3.5 or higher:
Alexandria: Hannah Anderson, Malachi Anderson, Robert Anderson, Christina Asfeld, Sierra Barten, Marshal Baune, Mercy Berglund, Joseph Bigger, Lucas Bitzan, Abigail Blank, Annalise Brede, Brady Burgau, Olivia Burns, Emelia Carlson, McKenzie Carlson, RyLeigh Clarke, Brady Davis, Alexander Dockham, Anna Doherty, Nicole Dolan, Joria Downing, Karissa Downing, Levi Eastlund, Alex Elwood, Gabrielle Engstrom, Hannah Finne, Mitchel Floding, Laura Fouts, Emma Fox, McKenna Gibson, Kaitlyn Goergen, Peyton Green, Mattie Harb, Melissa Hart, Neda Hedstrom, Jaida Hess, Brianna Holm, Amy Holt, Makenzie Jacobs, Arianna Janssen, Anna Joy, Benjamin Kakac, Elise Klepetka, Kobe Knudegaard, Bennet Koranda, Colton Lasota, Lewis Lindner, Austin Loscheider, Ryan Massmann, Austin Miller, Bruce Navratil, Yvonne Nyirenda, Ashley Oberg, Kaylee Olmscheid, Derek Pesta, Shannon Petermeier, Joseph Piekarski, Samantha Potts, Elizabeth Reece, Alei Rehovsky, Erika Roderick, Kallista Roers, Heather Rolin, Seth Rumohr, Tate Runge, Jeffrey Salfer, MaKayla Schiele, Ethan Schonberg, Analise Schroeder, Diana Schuldt, Shanna Scofield, Kristina Sherrett, Isabel Smalley, Jennie Spates, Kyli Staples, Kylah Sullivan, Micah Summer, Lisa Swanson, Gavin Swenson, Jennifer Taylor, Lexi Thompson, Mackenzie Thompson, Kaylee Torgerson, Michael Torres, Brooklyn VonBank, Lydia Waage, Andrew Wegner, Mary Whalen, Nicole Witt, Amanda Wittenberg, Xinru Zhong and Bria Zimmerman.
Brandon: Taylor Bitzan, Megan Henry, Isaac Kent and London Suchy
Carlos: Makayla Beulke, Julia Magnuson, Christina Palmer and Kailey Wray
Evansville: Nicholas Zabroski and Ashley Aanerud
Farwell: Bradley Anderson, Luke Bliese, Grace McCleary and Greta McCleary
Garfield: Jenna Eiden, Brea Koep, Hailey Koep, Andrew Revering, Megan Rydberg and Rebecca Zwonitzer
Kensington: Hailey Hartmann and Joseph Slater
Miltona: Trever Arceneau, Ethan Carruth, Samantha Christensen, Tausha Lange, Clayton Luedeke, Tanner Mathews, Jordon Trenne and Reise Waldorf
Nelson: Aarica Barsness and Leslie Schmidt
Osakis: Jessica Baggett, Abby Breiter, Isaac Hetland, Haylee Jern, Madisen Johanson, Natasha Jost, Nathan Kulzer, Alexa Lien, Jay Manders, Hailey Prozinski, Dominic Strom, Brianna Woodard, Austin Young and Tyler Young