Beginning Tuesday, Feb. 18, Alexandria Public Schools will be hosting kindergarten registration sessions for parents with a child ready to attend kindergarten in the fall.
To be eligible for kindergarten for the 2020-21 school year, a child must be 5 years old by Sept. 1.
Each of the district's six elementary schools is hosting a session for parents. In addition to watching a short presentation and video, parents will be able to meet the school principal and receive their child’s kindergarten registration packet.
Kindergarten-eligible children do not need to attend. They will be invited to other activities prior to the start of school.
Following is the kindergarten registration schedule (note the Miltona session reflects a change in what was listed in the school calendar):
- Tuesday, Feb. 18, 5:30 p.m. – Voyager Elementary, 203 Voyager Drive, Alexandria, 320-762-3325
- Thursday, Feb. 20, 5:30 p.m. – Lincoln Elementary, 1120 Lark St., Alexandria, 320-762-3320
- Thursday, Feb. 20, 5:30 p.m. – Woodland Elementary, 1410 S. McKay Ave., Alexandria, 320-762-3300
- Thursday, Feb. 20, 5:30 p.m. – Garfield Elementary, 303 Sanstead St. E, Garfield, 320-762-3350
- Thursday, Feb. 20, 6:30 p.m. – Miltona Science Magnet Elementary, 271 Dale St., Miltona, 877-736-1419
- Tuesday, Feb. 25, 5:00 p.m. – Carlos Elementary, 20 N. Douglas Ave., Carlos, 320-852-7181
According to the district, Miltona Elementary will continue to operate as a “magnet school,” and requests from elementary students throughout the district to attend the Miltona school will be honored as long as space is available.
Non-resident families outside the Alexandria district boundaries can still attend through the open enrollment option. For more information and to request an open enrollment application, contact the superintendent’s assistant, Maggie Timm, at the district office.
Kindergarten brochures and a letter from each child’s school principal were recently sent through the mail. Any parent with a child who will be 5 years old by Sept. 1 and who did not receive this mailing is asked to contact the district office at 320-762-2141, ext. 4201, to verify census information.