Two men in a car that was stopped by law enforcement for speeding Tuesday morning fled on foot, and while one was taken into custody shortly after a search began, the other man eluded authorities for most of the day.

It took an exhaustive search by ground and air, and in the end a tip, before locating a man who had remained at large for nearly 14 hours.

Douglas County Sheriff Troy Wolbersen said his office received a tip Tuesday night about the whereabouts of the suspect. He was reportedly hiding in a corn field. After about an hour of searching, the man stepped out and surrendered to authorities, and was taken into custody without incident shortly before 9 p.m.

The search encompassed authorities from the sheriff's office and the Minnesota State Patrol talking to residents, as well as use of a drone. A K-9 unit was also called in to help with the search, and Wolbersen said the state patrol called on an airplane to help look for the suspect.

According to Wolbersen, here's what happened:

On Tuesday, July 30, at about 7 a.m., the state patrol stopped a vehicle on Interstate 94 near Alexandria for speeding. Six occupants were inside the vehicle – five men and one juvenile girl.

Wolbersen was not sure why the two men fled, but another of the occupants was arrested for a warrant out of New Mexico for kidnapping. It is unknown if the two who fled had anything to do with the kidnapping.

The man arrested on the warrant was the driver of the vehicle, Edwin Lopez, 19, from Albuquerque.

The State Patrol enlisted the help of the sheriff's office in the search. Shortly afterward, the sheriff's office sent out a Code Red alert to residents in the area of Busch Road SE, which is southeast of Alexandria between County Road 23 and County Road 17, near Forada.

The Code Red alerted residents to the incident and requested that they stay inside and lock the doors to not only their homes but their vehicles. The suspects weren't considered dangerous, but the sheriff said they were "desperate."

According to the Minnesota State Patrol, the juvenile girl was taken into protective custody by the sheriff's office. The four passengers are being detained at the Douglas County Jail until they are picked up by the Border Patrol.