Alexandria man charged after admitting to shooting last week, court documents say

The shooting took place on the 500 block of Oak Street of Alexandria.

TysonJeremy Crime.jpg
Jeremy Tyson

A 38-year-old Alexandria man is in custody after admitting he shot and wounded another man, according to court documents

Jeremy James Tyson, who reportedly had a blood alcohol concentration of .18 – twice the legal limit – was arrested in the early morning hours of Tuesday, Dec. 22, after Michael Wells, 37, was shot outside an Alexandria home.

According to the criminal complaint, here’s what happened:

Shortly before 4 a.m. Dec. 22, the Alexandria Police Department responded to a complaint of people fighting in the street in the area of the 500 block of Oak Street in Alexandria and that shots had been fired.

Officers found miscellaneous items on the ground, including a cellphone, coat and pocket watch.


Tyson reportedly came out of a residence at 507 Oak St. with his hands in the air and asked the police officers to come inside his house because shots had been fired from inside the house to the outside of the house.

Once inside, Tyson told officers that he had shot Wells, according to the complaint. Tyson told officers he and Wells had been arguing on the phone and that Wells reportedly told Tyson he was coming to “get him” so that is why Tyson got his guns ready.

The complaint stated that a witness inside the house, Kirsten Webb, told Tyson not to use his guns. Tyson reported to the officers that Wells approached him with a child’s scooter and was banging on the door of the residence.

According to the criminal complaint, Tyson told officers he was afraid of Wells and shot through the door.

Douglas County dispatchers were subsequently told by staff at Alomere Health that Wells showed up at the emergency room and that he had three gunshot wounds. Wells was reportedly transported to CentraCare in St. Cloud.

Officers found two guns on a washing machine in the bathroom, but was told by Tyson that neither of those guns had been fired. Officers then found a Lorcin L380 handgun on the stairway railing. The gun reportedly had a single round in the chamber and the magazine was empty.


Officers observed a bullet hole in the door and a bullet fragment was found on the ground outside of the doorway. A firearm check was run on the gun, which revealed that it had been originally stolen from its owner in Maryland in 1984.

As of Monday, Dec. 28, Tyson is in the Douglas County Jail . He was charged with felony 1st degree assault/inflict bodily harm and felony 2nd degree assault/assault another person with a dangerous weapon.

This was the second shooting in less than two weeks. The first shooting took place Dec. 11 on‌ ‌the‌ ‌1600‌ ‌block‌ ‌of‌ ‌Seventh‌ ‌Avenue‌ ‌East. Jacob Donavan Nelson, 34, of Alexandria, was charged in that shooting. He reportedly shot Joshua Robles, 24, ‌of Osakis.

Celeste Edenloff is the special projects editor and a reporter for the Alexandria Echo Press. She has lived in the Alexandria Lakes Area since 1997. She first worked for the Echo Press as a reporter from 1999 to 2011, and returned in 2016 to once again report on the community she calls home.
What To Read Next
Get Local