Alexandria Days Inn shut down for health, safety violations
Alexandria's Days Inn has been closed, at least temporarily. The hotel was closed on July 27 due to several health and safety concerns that were found, according to Ann Stehn, administrator for Horizon Public Health.
Alexandria's Days Inn has been closed, at least temporarily.
The hotel was closed on July 27 due to several health and safety concerns that were found, according to Ann Stehn, administrator for Horizon Public Health.
The hotel is working to resolve these issues with the support of Horizon, Stehn said.
"We are hopeful that they will be able to resume operations in the near future," she said.
A follow-up inspection is scheduled for Aug. 5, said Jen Longaecker, public information officer for the State Fire Marshal Division.
Horizon Public Health's report about the hotel is not public at this time.
Calls to the hotel by the Alexandria Echo Press were not answered, and emails were not responded to properly as of press time.
The hotel's closure follows an incident that occurred on the night of July 23, when guests found themselves without any hotel employees on the property.
According to the Alexandria police records, calls were received that the hotel was closed although there were guests inside.
An entry from the next morning said guests from the Days Inn were going next door to the Super 8, complaining that they could not get into their rooms or find any employees.
"No staff were on site and notes were posted at the door stating the hotel was closed due to lack of staffing, in spite of dozens of guests being present," on police blotter read.
Several of these customers posted about the incident on Google Reviews.
Jackie Aho wrote that her party arrived at check-in time to find a note on the door saying the hotel was short-staffed for housekeeping and to come back at 6 p.m.
When Aho went to check in at 6:30 p.m. there was a sign on the door that said the hotel was closed, but that a "temporary worker" let her in.
"She thankfully gave us a room as we had made reservations weeks ago and there was literally no other rooms in town," Aho wrote.
However, Aho added that she was charged full price and the worker told her she was leaving in an hour.
After showing Aho's party where to get towels and toilet paper, the worker said, "Have a good time, you're on your own," Aho wrote.
James Hanson, another reviewer, echoed Aho's comments, but added that in addition to the lack of employees, his room keys stopped working.
"Almost got locked out, a very challenging experience," Hanson wrote.
Reviews posted this year from users on Google Reviews tripadvisor.com were given titles like "Worst hotel ever," "Never again" and "Bates Motel."
Reviewers complained about such things as floors not being vacuumed, the smell of cigarettes and marijuana, noise in the hotel and in the parking lot, and bathrooms not being cleaned.
Signs at the hotel do not reflect the closure, and at night the sign's lights are still turned on.
In addition, a number of cars playing loud music were seen in the parking lot on both Thursday and Friday nights.