Work on most highway projects in Minnesota is being suspended for the Memorial Day weekend holiday,and that includes two area projects.
The Highway 28/29 project from Glenwood to Starbuck has closed the road to through traffic through early July. Traffic is being detoured on Highway 29 south of Starbuck, Pope County Road 18 and Highway 104.
Shoulder-widening operations will begin Tuesday near Starbuck and heading east. Crews will also be working on culverts on both sides of County Road 24.
Work on Highways 55, 59 and 79 in Elbow Lake is also being suspended. The eastbound lanes of Highway 59/79 is currently carrying traffic in both directions as crews work on the westbound lanes. The southbound lane of Highway 55 is also closed for storm sewer and concrete work.
Construction on the eastbound lanes of Interstate 94 between Highway 114 in Garfield and Highway 29 in Alexandria, as well as the eastbound bridge over Lake Latoka near exit 100, started in April and will continue through September.
Traffic is restricted to one lane in each direction during this time, and the Lake Latoka rest area is closed until the eastbound lanes are reopened to traffic.
The Minnesota Department of Transportation encourages those traveling this weekend to use extra care while driving through work zones, to be prepared for slow traffic, and to consider alternate routes.
Here is a list of highway projects throughout Minnesota that may affect weekend travel from May 24-27:
- I-94 Lake Latoka near Alexandria – Single lane traffic on I-94 in both directions, Lake Latoka Rest Area closed
- Highways 55, 59, 79 Elbow Lake – Lane closures, flaggers
- Highway 119 Appleton – Highway 119 closed between Highways 12 and 59, detour and alternating lane closures
- Highway 4 Grove City – Flagging/pilot car between Grove City and Paynesville
- Highway 23 Marshall – Road reduced to one lane
- Highway 40 Milan – Bridge closed over Lac qui Parle lake, detour
- Highway 27 Little Falls – Highway 27 closed, detour through September
- Highway 28/29 Starbuck to Glenwood – Road closed, detour
- Highway 65/Highway 107 near Braham – Single lane traffic, lane shifts and reduced speeds
- Highway 169 Garrison – Roadway reduced to one lane
- Highway 15 St. Augusta to Kimball – Highway 15 closed, detour through July
- Highway 55 Annandale to Maple Lake – Highway 55 closed, detour
- I-35W Downtown to Crosstown – Northbound and southbound lane closures between I-94 and 46th Street, ramp closures
- I-35W MnPASS North – Northbound lane closure between Roseville and Lino Lakes, southbound lanes closure between Mounds View and Arden Hills, nighttime work
- I-35 split in Forest Lake – Lane closures, single lane traffic
- I-35 Rush City – Northbound and southbound single lane traffic near Harris
- I-35E Mendota Heights – Roadway reduced to one lane, alternating lane closures, ramp closures, nighttime work
- I-494 Inver Grove Heights – Westbound lane and ramp closures
- I-35 Snake River bridge replacements – Highway 70 traffic detoured to Highway 7 through mid-July
- I-35 in Downtown Duluth – Single lane traffic through June
- Highway 2 East Grand Forks – Traffic reduced to one lane in both directions
- Highway 2 Erskine – Lane closures, detour
- Highway 1 Red Lake – Lane closures and short term detours
- Highway 71 Koochiching County – Road closed, detour
- Highways 175, 220 and 317 in northwest Minnesota – Roads closed due to flooding
- I-90 Freeborn County – Single lane traffic in each direction, reduced speeds
- Highway 60 Zumbro Falls to Wabasha – Highway 60 closed, detour through June 28
- I-90 Fairmont to Blue Earth – Single lane traffic, reduced speeds and overpass bridge
- Highway 14 New Ulm – Highway 14/Highway 15 closed, detour
- Highway 60 St. James – Single lane traffic in each direction, ramp closures
- Highway 14 Tracy – Highway 14 closed, detour
MnDOT urges motorists to be attentive, drive with caution, slow down in work zones and never enter a road blocked with barriers or cones.