The annual Christmas Service at Spruce Hill Church near Miltona was held on Sunday, December 17, at 2 p.m.

In addition to a reading of the Christmas story and musical entertainment, favorite Christmas carols were also sung. Refreshments and fellowship followed the service.

The Spruce Hill Lutheran Church began as a log structure built in 1881. It had seats of wooden planks set on stumps, its pulpit an upright log. The need for a larger church soon became evident and the present building was completed in 1902. In 1913 a long horse barn was added to shelter the congregants’ horses during worship services.  Membership dwindled through the years, and in 1967 the congregation merged with Miltona Faith. In 1994, the Spruce Hill Church building was deeded to the Douglas County Historical Society, which is now in charge of its operation.

Traditional Easter and Christmas services, and a midsummer hymn festival are held each year. The Spruce Hill church is available for funerals, weddings and other events approved by the Board of Directors.