1193947 Public Notice - School District 206 Meeting November 15, 2010
Public Notice Publish December 29, 2010 REGULAR MEETING BOARD OF EDUCATION INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 206 ALEXANDRIA, MINNESOTA NOVEMBER 15, 2010 The regular meeting of the Board of Education of Independent School District No. 206, Alexandri...
Publish December 29, 2010
BOARD OF EDUCATION
DISTRICT NO. 206
NOVEMBER 15, 2010
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of Independent School District No. 206, Alexandria, Minnesota, was called to order by School Board Chair Dean Anderson at 7:00 p.m. in the District Office Oak Conference Room, Alexandria, Minnesota.
School Board Members Present: Jim Hafdal, Judy Florell, Dave Anderson, Jean Robley, Pam Carlson and Dean Anderson, and (ex-officio) Superintendent Terry Quist. Absent: Alan Zeithamer
Administrators Present: Judy Backhaus, Julie Critz, Trevor Peterson, Susan Scarborough, Jeff Jorgensen, Jill Johnson, Matt Aker and 42 visitors.
Motion by Dave Anderson, seconded by Robley, to approve the Consent Agenda as follows:
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
To approve the minutes of the regular meeting held October 18, 2010, and the special meeting held November 5, 2010.
DISTRICT CLAIMS AND FINANCIAL REPORTS:
To accept the financial reports and to ratify the payment of the October, 2010 claims.
To accept the following retirement agreements with appreciation for their many years of service to the district:
- Barb Schultz, Para, Lincoln, last day of work was June 9, 2010.
- Cheryl Buffington, Para, Lincoln, last day of work will be December 23, 2010.
- Deanna Schultz, Administrative Assistant, Miltona, last day of work will be December 23, 2010.
- Bonnie Didier, Administrative Assistant, Carlos, last day of work will be December 28, 2010.
To accept the following resignation agreements:
- Jessica Janke, Youth Enrichment Coordinator, last day of work was October 27, 2010.
- William Schmitz, Custodian, Jefferson, last day of work will be November 30, 2010.
CHILD CARE LEAVE:
To approve the following request for child care leave:
- Heather Moore, Teacher, Discovery School, a child care leave from approximately February 9, 2011 through April 30, 2011.
To approve employment agreements with the following people and that they be paid as per schedule:
- Jaclyn Kopel, Elementary Teacher, Voyager, effective 10/26/10.
- Lisa Bowden, Youth Enrichment Coordinator, Community Education, effective 11/5/10.
- Robin Fritsche, Bus Driver, effective 10/25/10.
- Jamie Gilbertson, Learning Resource Teacher (LRT), Woodland, effective 11/1/10.
- Julie Jensen, LRT, Woodland, effective 11/1/10.
- Nancy Langner, LRT, Carlos, effective 11/1/10.
- Michael Lorine, LRT, Miltona, effective 10/19/10.
- Stephanie Schmidt, LRT, Voyager, effective 10/25/10.
To approve the following additions with the related expenses paid from booster club donations:
- Add two special education EBD para positions at Woodland, 5.75 hours/day.
- Add one special education S/P para position at Voyager, 5.75 hours/day.
- Add two hours/day of secretarial time for Food & Nutrition Services.
To approve the following fundraising activity:
- Gymnastics Team - Tastefully Simple fundraiser from November 22 to December 6, 2010.
- Nordic Ski Team - Bag groceries at grocery store in November, 2010.
- LEO Club - Jail & Bail on December 10, 2010; funds raised will be donated to Jingle Bells.
- JHS Psychology Classes and Kelly Hilbrands - Senior Citizen Dance on December 10, 2010. This is a service-learning project.
- Nordic Ski Team - Sell Papa Murphy Pizza Cards in December, 2010.
- Nordic Ski Team - Sell pizza at Ice Fishing Challenge, during the winter months of 2010-11.
EXTENDED FIELD TRIPS:
To approve the following extended field trips:
- Boys Hockey Team - to Burnsville Scrimmage, November 19-20, 2010.
- Boys Hockey Team - to Roseau Holiday Tournament, December 28-30, 2010.
DONATIONS AND GRANTS:
To approve the submission of the following grant requests:
- Environmental Assistance-Resource Conservation and Greenhouse Gas Reduction Grant from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.
And, to approve the following resolution:
SCHOOL DISTRICT 206 TO
ACCEPT DONATIONS AND GRANTS
WHEREAS, the District 206 School Board encourages the support of the district's educational programs through the funding and support of grant opportunities and donations that meet the goals and objectives of the district;
WHEREAS, the school district will control and maintain all grants and donations to ensure that the interests of all students are met;
WHEREAS, the grants and donations listed below have been reviewed and approved by the administration of School District 206;
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, by the School Board of Independent School District No. 206, State of Minnesota, to accept the following grants and donations:
- The Lake Region Arts Council awarded a $2,770 Arts Midwest Grant to Community Education to host a weeklong residence and public concert with Japanese musician Hiromitsu Agatsuma.
- The Boys Soccer Program received the following donations: $556.34 from Alex Glass and Glazing; $500 from Alexandria Tubes and Fittings; and $363.50 from Cowing Robards, Inc., to be used to offset expenses of the program.
- The Girls Hockey Program received a donation of $2,845 from the Girls Hockey Activity Account for the salary for an extra coach and the related benefits cost.
- The Baseball Program received a donation from the Alexandria Youth Baseball Association of $2,700 for the salary for an extra coach and the related benefits cost, and $2,000 for bus upgrades and grades 7-12 baseball equipment.
To approve the following school district agreements:
- Service Agreement between School District 206 and Amy Sunderland for Ms. Sunderland to serve as a Community Engagement Coordinator for District 206.
- Agreement between School District 206 and the Occupational Therapy Department of the University of North Dakota for the district to provide fieldwork experience for UND occupational therapy students for the time period of July 1, 2010 through June 30, 2015.
Vote on Consent Agenda:
FIRST READING OF SCIENCE CURRICULUM REVISIONS:
Motion by Dave Anderson, seconded by Florell, to approve the first reading of the revised K-12 Science curriculum standards as presented.
CUSTODIAL CONTRACT FOR 2010-11 & 2011-12:
Motion by Dave Anderson, seconded by Carlson, to approve the contract between School District 206 and the Custodial Union for the 2010-11 and 2011-12 school years.
EASEMENT WITH CENTURYLINK:
Motion by Carlson, seconded by Robley, to approve the Communication System Easement requested by CenturyLink at Woodland Elementary School.
Motion by Dave Anderson, seconded by Robley, that being there is no further business to come before the School Board at this time, the meeting shall adjourn at 8:48 p.m.
/s/ Judith Ann Florell
/s/ Dean R. Anderson