Memorial Day events planned for Alexandria and surrounding towns
All events are on Monday, May 30.
This year’s Memorial Day will take place on Monday, May 30. To mark the event, some area organizations are planning events. Here’s a rundown of what to expect.
The West Central Chapter of Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA 235) is hosting the Memorial Day program at the Veterans Memorial Park on the corner of Eighth Avenue and Broadway Street.
Here is the schedule of events:
- 9:30 a.m. – Parade and marching units to assemble at Big Ole.
- 10 a.m. – The parade begins south on Broadway and will march to Eighth Street.
- 10:45 a.m. – Seating of guests and bagpipe welcome.
- 11 a.m. – Formal program commences.
- 11:15 a.m. – Reading of 150 individual veteran names.
- 11:30 a.m. – Memorial Day address by Steve Pederson.
- 11:45 a.m. – Closing ceremony.
- Noon – Free-will lunch by VFW Post 936.
The Brandon Memorial Day service will take place at the Veterans Parks at 11 a.m. followed by a free-will donation meal at the Brandon City Hall and Auditorium.
The Legionnaires will gather at City Hall at 10 a.m. and march down the cemetery road lined with flags to the memorial in the cemetery. Afterward, a program will take place in the school gym with guest speaker, Jerome Hanson from Hoffman. The Auxiliary and Honor Quilts of Alexandria are expected to present quilts to four veterans.
The Memorial Day service will start at 10 a.m. at Central Square. Gordy Wagner will be the emcee and Craig Swenson is the keynote speaker. A military parade will follow the program and there will be a free-will luncheon after the parade at the Village Inn in downtown Glenwood.
Inspiration Peak Legion Post 527 of Millerville will host Memorial Day honors at seven local cemeteries on Monday, May 30. The public is invited to attend the honors. Legion and Auxiliary members will meet at the Legion Hall at 8 a.m.
Military honors will take place at the following times and locations:
- Millerville Cemetery at 8:30 a.m.
- Trinity Cemetery at 9 a.m.
- Eagle Lake Cemetery at 9:30 a.m.
- Leaf Mountain Cemetery at 10 a.m.
- Urbank Cemetery at 10:20 a.m.
- Saint James Cemetery at 10:40 a.m.
- Ebenezer Cemetery at 11 a.m.
Osakis VFW Post 7902 will host its Memorial Day service at Lion's Park (the one near the interstate). The service begins at 11 a.m. and this year’s guest speaker is Pastor Lindell Quam.
Legion Post 219 will host Memorial Day events, including the following:
- 8 a.m. to noon – Pancake breakfast at the high school in the old gym.
- 10 a.m. – Program at the high school in the new gym. Honor guard will be at the cemetery directly following the program.
In the afternoon, there will be the inaugural Legion Girls Softball State Tournament at the city softball field. Games are scheduled for 2 and 4 p.m.