On The Street
• Kirsten Plath of Widseth Smith Nolting has passed the exams and met the education and experience requirements necessary to become a licensed professional engineer in Minnesota. Plath graduated from North Dakota State University with a degree in civil engineering. She began working for Widseth Smith Nolting as a student before becoming a permanent team member of the Alexandria office's civil engineering department in 2013. As a civil engineer, Plath primarily works with projects that include road construction, water distribution systems, and sanitary and storm sewer systems. A graduate of Jefferson Senior High School, she lives in Garfield.
• Caring Hands Dental Clinic received the 2018 Minnesota Rural Health Team Award from the Minnesota Department of Health, Minnesota Rural Health Association and Duluth-based National Rural Health Resource Center in June. A designated critical access dental provider, Caring Hands provides dental care in 34 Minnesota counties. It covers uninsured patients and those covered by Minnesota Health Care Programs and has created many dental health programs. CEO Al Olsen accepted the award on behalf of the staff.
• Mark Malingen has joined Glenwood State Bank as market president for the Alexandria branch. Malingen earned his bachelor's degree in finance from Minnesota State University Moorhead. He was formerly the president of Bell Bank in Detroit Lakes for seven years, and prior to that worked as an area manager and a retail manager for various Minnesota banks. Malingen has more than 25 years of leadership experience and has been involved with various boards, chamber groups and Rotary Clubs. Originally from Fergus Falls, Malingen will move to Alexandria with his wife and two sons. In June 2018, the locally-owned Glenwood State Bank was named a Top Workplace in Minnesota by the Star Tribune.
• Natalie Heckert will present her Club E Fit product at a fitness trade show in Sao Paulo, Brazil on Saturday, Sept. 1. She will market her invention as the Total Body Trainer and release a Portuguese infomercial. The goal of her product is to deliver more fitness in less time. Heckert, who has a degree in sports science, community health and coaching, is a certified personal trainer and group fitness instructor who lives in Alexandria.
• Dr. Amanda Zehrer has joined the Sanford Health Alexandria team. Zehrer received her medical degree from American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine in St. Maarten. She specializes in obstetrics and gynecology at Sanford Health Broadway Clinic, 1527 Broadway St. in Alexandria.