On The Street
• Timothy Lieser of Alexandria was elected district deputy for Elks lodges in the Central District of the Minnesota Elks Association, Inc., and will serve a one-year term. He was installed during the Elks' National Convention in San Antonio, Texas. The Elks are a patriotic and charitable organization that expects to donate about $353 million in cash, gifts, and time this year to help the needy, students, people with special needs, active-duty members of the armed forces and their families, veterans, and charitable organizations.
• The Alexandria Area Community Foundation announced the election of Catherine Stine to serve on the board of directors, effective July 1. Stine is principal of The Stine Group. Also, board members Bill Flaig and Paula Jackson were elected to serve their third three-year terms while Tom Anderson will serve a second three-year term. The foundation is a public charity. Since 1992, it has grown to over $3.3 million in assets and awarded more than $2.9 million in grants to nonprofits.
• The Seratoma Club donated $5,000 on July 26 to the Veterans Memorial Park Finance Committee in Alexandria.
• Bruce Pohlig of Alexandria was elected to serve a second three-year term on the board of directors of CommunityGiving, a collaboration of community foundations including the Alexandria Area Community Foundation. Collectively, CommunityGiving administers more than 700 funds totaling more than $140 million and has granted over $106.2 million back into the community. Pohlig serves on the board as vice chairman.
• Several childcare providers in Alexandria earned star ratings for participating in Parent Aware, the quality rating and improvement system run by three state agencies. Lynn Barten, Janell Gronholz and Heather Larson each received a star. Participants work toward using best practices to prepare children for kindergarten.
• Rebecca Heyn is returning to the Alexandria area and will begin teaching piano at Carlson Music. She obtained her bachelor's degree in piano from the University of Minnesota in Morris, and her master's degree in piano accompanying and chamber music from Northern Arizona University. Heyn has trained through the first three of seven volumes of Suzuki piano. She teaches students of all levels and abilities.
• Carr's Tree Service, Inc., a utility contractor tree service with an office in Alexandria, recently earned its three-year Utility Contractor Accreditation in accordance with standards from the Tree Care Industry Association, America's oldest tree care trade association. Carr's Tree Service, Inc. is the third company in Minnesota to receive this accreditation, which involved an extensive review of its practices as well as a site visit.