1917, 100 years ago: James J. Ballentine, who has furlough from Fort Snelling for two weeks, is expected at Camp Ballentine to visit relatives. He was one of the fortunate ones to receive a commission from the war department and has been awarded the commission of second lieutenant of cavalry. He will be assigned to active duty with the troops in a short time. Jacob Wettleson was awarded the commission of second lieutenant of the Quartermaster corps and will go into the officers' reserve corps, and active duty.
1917, 100 years ago: Louis Malmgren of Lake Mary reports that other than taking the two big doors off his barn, the chimney from his house and blowing down trees, the storm last week did no damage to him greatly. His neighbor, Tom Hvezda, lost his fine big barn and three horses were killed outright and the fourth so badly injured that there is little hope of its recovery.
1917, 100 years ago: One of the severest storms known to the people of this county passed over Sunday evening. It appears that it covered a strip the length of the county from west to east doing serious damage through Urness, Moe, LaGrand, Alexandria and Osakis. The storm struck between 8:30 and 9 o'clock, first with heavy winds carrying large quantities of sand. The rains were heavy and driven into the buildings by the force of the wind. It lasted for about an hour.
1917, 100 years ago: A party of ladies picnicked with Miss Emma Ballentine and sisters, Mrs. Belle Worth, and Mrs. McSorley, at Camp Ballentine. They were Mesdames Oscar E. Erickson, Roy McKay, Hicks, Wold, and the Misses Susie Covel, Katie McKay, Maryann Sutton, Ida and Myrtle Tart, Lewis, Townsend and Moore. A delicious lunch with lemonade and watermelon, swimming and bathing were indulged in. The greatest pleasure perhaps was a motor ride about the lake in the early evening.
1917, 100 years ago: A Red Cross Rally was held at the village hall in Evansville with attorney Constant Larson of Alexandria as speaker, who explained the work and order of the organization to the audience, as a Red Cross branch is about to be organized in the village. A carload of silos came to Forada, being ordered by John Cassel from near Nelson, Peter and Tom Cassell, John Hansen and Joe Doerr from near Villard.
1917, 100 years ago: Bethany Home for the Aged, established here by the Red River Valley Conference of the Swedish Lutheran Church, was dedicated in the presence of over 500 people and most of the Swedish Lutheran pastors of the District. "The party that took my canvas tent two weeks ago better bring it back and put it where they took it for I know who took it, so save a trial." — Mrs. H. Boerner.
1917, 100 years ago: We welcome Editor Carl A. Wold of the "Park Region Echo," Alexandria, as a new editor and a new paper, the "Farmer's Equity News," official representative of the Farmers' Society of Equity. John Knutson, P.A. Larson, Geo. Thompson and Emil Johnson arrived in Brandon with three new Saxon cars, which they drove up from Minneapolis. Larson and Knutson have the agency for these cars and report four sales already. They are well pleased with the outlook.
1917, 100 years ago: The Farmers' and Merchants Cooperative Local Telephone Company of Garfield, held its annual meeting. We understand this is the second largest Co-operative Farmers' Telephone Co. in the state. It covers all the north-western part of Douglas County and also has some patrons in Grant and Ottertail.
1917, 100 years ago: 143 boys and girls, largest of the county, will receive their diplomas at the County Eighth Grade Graduation day. The number of students enrolled at the Lake Louise School during the year was 37. Average daily attendance was 25. Alfred Carlson of Evansville recently made a trip to the Peace River County in Canada. He was not very impressed with the country he saw but said there is a large Scandinavian settlement there and they are improving the country rapidly.There is a large tract of good timber, also a large amount of wild game.
1917, 100 years ago: Evansville News: A reception was given at the village hall in honor of Evansville’s first Army volunteer, Anton Pearson , who left on the No. 4 that evening. Mr.