Skip to main content
History Live held at Runestone Museum
One transported after minor injuries in crash near Miltona
Council considers ban on e-cigarettes
Douglas County offers free water checks
'Everything was a mess:' Kensington turkey farm cleaning up after storm
Legion Baseball: Morris shuts down Osakis offense
Girls Basketball: Lange completes the climb to varsity
Boys Basketball: Hintermeister set for head coaching job
Hundreds gather at Fireman's Field for celebration night in Carlos
Alexandria trap team sends squad to state
'Martin Luther' visits Alexandria church camp
Expanding Outreach: Food Shelf celebrates expansion
Schjei Country to perform at West Moe Church
Alexandria actors play key roles in Barrett play
Sweetland runs this week at Theatre L'Homme Dieu
Engaged - Strater and Lambert
Engaged - Bruzik and Johnson
Engaged - Fogelson and Gibbons
Engaged - Teichert and Kelly
Engaged - Schmidt and Murray
Courrier lands nice bass
Big fish highlight third Douglas County Bowfishing Challenge
Mike Frisch: Finding June walleyes
Walleye bite picks up on some area lakes
Osakis walleye tourney set for this weekend
Lorraine G. Van Santen
Mary Anna Louise Swenson
Gary Kermit Backlund
Lee Edward Hutchins
Orville Arnold Botner
THUMBS UP/THUMBS DOWN: Views by the Echo Press Editorial Board
It's Our Turn: A life without my mom
Commentary: Water wells are safe
Editorial: Newspapers still top choice for news
In the Know: Help available for businesses
4-H announces K-3 summer camps
Master gardener shares cold-hardy plant information
Many options for shade plants
Extension service helps with pressure canning
What's going on with the evergreens??
A race to get people in the door of downtown businesses
Chamber holds 26th annual golf tournament
Tolkkinen joins Echo Press staff
JCI Minnesota looking for outstanding young Minnesotans
Lake Carlos Marina under new ownership
hires and promotions
On The Street
History Live held at Runestone Museum
Shane Christen, portraying 3rd Sergeant Steele, talks about some of the firearms and ammunition that were used during the Civil War at History...
37 sec ago
June 21, 2017
Observations from the Archives: 1992: Eurasian milfoil appears in Lake Oscar
1917, 100 years ago: We welcome Editor Carl A. Wold of the "Park Region Echo," Alexandria, as a new editor and a new paper, the "Farmer's Equity News," official representative of the Farmers' Society of Equity. John Knutson, P.A. Larson, Geo. Thompson and Emil Johnson arrived in Brandon...
June 21, 2017 - 4:27pm
June 15, 2017
Observations from the Archives: 1967: Knot-Hole Gang takes in a Twins game
1917, 100 years ago: The Farmers' and Merchants Cooperative Local Telephone Company of Garfield, held its annual meeting. We understand this is the second largest Co-operative Farmers' Telephone Co. in the state. It covers all the north-western part of Douglas County and also has...
June 15, 2017 - 8:53am
June 7, 2017
Observations from the Archives: 1992: Northwest Airlines (remember them?) donates 727 to Alex Tech
1917, 100 years ago: 143 boys and girls, largest of the county, will receive their diplomas at the County Eighth Grade Graduation day. The number of students enrolled at the Lake Louise School during the year was 37. Average daily attendance was 25. Alfred Carlson of Evansville recently...
June 7, 2017 - 8:02am
May 25, 2017
Observations from the Archives: 1967: Hardware Hank's is Official Barbie Trade-In Headquarters
1917, 100 years ago: Lars Anderson has sold his 80 acre farm west of Brandon to August Anderson from near Alexandria. Consideration, $6,000 ... T.A. Erickson, Miss Tempero, Mr. Norsen and Mr. Yockey went to Glenwood and gave a demonstration of canning to the high school and townspeople...
May 25, 2017 - 6:05am
May 18, 2017
Observations from the Archives: 2007: Freedom to Breathe Act bans public indoor smoking
1917, 100 years ago: The farmers of this county are steadily securing well bred stock and developing that industry to a remarkable extent. John Uptegraft of Belle River just received a full blood Holstein bull calf, and he reports that the mother of the calf produced 40 pounds of...
May 18, 2017 - 9:53am
May 11, 2017
Observations from the Archives: 1967: Construction begins on St. Ann's in Brandon
1917, 100 years ago: Doctors M.B. Ruud and L.M. Boyd are again back at their offices after a seven-week absence, attending post graduate work in New York City. Dr. Ruud specialized in women's and children's diseases and Dr. Boyd on nose and throat diseases, spending some time at the...
May 11, 2017 - 5:52am
May 4, 2017
OBSERVATIONS FROM THE ARCHIVES: 1992: Lincoln Avenue originally platted as Sixth Avenue
1917, 100 years ago: If you are interested in automobiles, go to Erickson and Setter garage and see the Chevrolet 490 and the Oakland Sensible Six. They are dandies ... LOST — Automobile mud chain on Holmes City road, between the hill at Martin Oberg's and I.O.G.T. Hall at Holmes...
May 4, 2017 - 6:00am
April 27, 2017
Observations from the Archives: 1967: Law enforcement course starts this fall
1917, 100 years ago: The effects of the war conditions are already beginning to be felt. Notices are being posted stating there is no credit given by merchants for flour and sugar. Cutloaf sugar is practically out of the market now. ... Lost: Automobile mud chain on Holmes City road,...
April 27, 2017 - 8:19am
April 20, 2017
Observations From the Archives: 1992: Sen. Paul Wellstone featured at town meetings
1917, 100 years ago: In Millerville News: Builder John Abel is again in the field with his men busy at work. They will next build a barn for Walter Wilken. ... The Johnson girls, living northeast of Union Lake, had the good luck in the state ditch to spear a fish that was 42 inches...
April 20, 2017 - 8:21am
April 13, 2017
Observations from the Archives: 1917: Letson House to remodel and enlarge
1917, 100 years ago: Mr. Ginther has secured plans to remodel and greatly increase the capacity of the Letson House. The plans are to build a large fireproof addition to the west side and brick veneer the other part, remove the present roof and replace it with a flat roof. The capacity...
April 13, 2017 - 4:09pm
March 29, 2017
FROM THE ARCHIVES - 1967: 3M plant construction started in Alexandria
1917, 100 years ago: The old Schneiderhan house on the lots back of the Washington school was sold at public auction to Frank Bisek of Lake Mary. Gust Loo was auctioneer. Mr. Bisek will move the house to the lots across the street, northeast of where it now stands. Moving the house...
March 29, 2017 - 9:00am
March 22, 2017
From the Archives - 1967: Free Mantoux tests offered
1917, 100 years ago: For some time the Echo has been running a couple columns of reading matter in German. This was greatly appreciated by the German readers and it was our intention to continue these columns. But since the latest developments with Germany, the company furnishing...
March 22, 2017 - 7:00am
March 15, 2017
FROM THE ARCHIVES - 2007: Douglas County Jail not in compliance
1917, 100 years ago: In Forada and Union Lake News: The Rev. Owen is meeting with lots of disappointments this winter as the church services are so poorly attended on account of the bad weather. Sundays seem always to be so stormy or else a recent storm puts the roads in such shape...
March 15, 2017 - 7:00am
March 1, 2017
FROM THE ARCHIVES - 1992: Michelangelo virus attacks computers
1917, 100 years ago: The Gamble-Robinson Alexandria Company has installed a first-class refrigerator, located in the basement and the first floor of their wholesale warehouse at the Soo yards. In the basement section, the warming room for ripening bananas is located. This is also...
March 1, 2017 - 7:00am