Skip to main content
Alexandria student seeking national office
Red Bull Band performs with high school band
Battling the elements for cancer: Fish tournament raises more than $50,000
Missing 27-year-old pregnant woman found dead in Minnesota's Chippewa National Forest
Five ways Minnesota is tackling the opioid crisis
Wrestling: Cardinals fall in the first round of section tournament
Blizzard hockey: Alexandria goes undefeated on the road
Girls hockey: Cardinals seeded fourth in Class A state tournament
Sports schedule for Sunday, Feb. 18
Boys basketball: Imdieke secures one point victory for Silverstreaks
Alexandria Area Community Calendar
The day Curt Felt died
Bonding over books
Toys for Kids reaches 165 children
What would Mr. Fitzgerald think?
Rose Cummings (Mom of Pat Gustafson)
Wayne & Berdeen Benson
Northeast's Minnesota moose population remains low but stable
Is feeding the ducks helping or hurting them?
Wolf, entangled in snare, shot and killed in Duluth
Albert takes a position with the DNR
Outdoor briefs: Pheasants Forever banquet set for Feb. 24
Ryan L. Beers
David "Dave" R. Collins
Edward "Ed" Kenneth Grussing
Dorothy M. Weaver
OUR TURN: It's not easy, but it's pretty simple
COMMENTARY: Stop supporting dirty polluters
COMMENTARY: Infrastructure — a bipartisan job creator
Take flu seriously and it's not too late to get a shot
IT'S YOUR TURN: Readers react to splash pad idea
Extension schedules land rent meeting for farmers, landowners
Managing boxelder bugs as the cold sets in
Step away from that pruning saw!
Going far with 4-H horses
County crafting buffer compliance rules
Alexandria J.C. Penney store to close
USDA: Farm profits to fall in 2018
Adding some kick to downtown: Martial arts studio moves into new location, expands classes
Report: Minnesota solar jobs jumped 48 percent last year
Estate planning seminar on Tuesday
hires and promotions
on the street
February 26, 2016
Vikings Savings Bank given A+ rank
Viking Savings Bank (VSB) in Alexandria recently received an A+ national financial health rating from DepositAccounts.com, a bank health-monitoring publication, for its financial standing through the end of the third quarter in 2015. The A+ health rating is the highest possible rating...
February 26, 2016 - 12:00am
Alex Power Equipment recognized with award of excellence
Kubota Tractor recently honored Alex Power Equipment in Alexandria with Kubota's Elite Award of Excellence, the company's most prestigious dealership...
February 26, 2016 - 12:00am
February 5, 2016
Douglas County Hospital awarded accreditation
Douglas County Hospital in Alexandria was awarded accreditation from the Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program (HFAP), an independent accreditation organization recognized by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). It earned this distinction after HFAP conducted...
February 5, 2016 - 12:00am
February 3, 2016
The Alexandria Kiwanis Golden K Club held award ceremonies for the Terrific Kid Programs on Jan. 11-13. The program gives recognition to students that have gone above and beyond to perform service to their school, church, fellow students, the community and their homes in the past...
February 3, 2016 - 12:00am
February 2, 2016
Echo Press wins 16 state awards
The Echo Press brought home 16 awards from the Minnesota Newspaper Association’s Better Newspaper Contest Thursday. The 2014-2015 awards covered...
February 2, 2016 - 3:10pm
January 29, 2016
On the Street - Jan. 29, 2016
• Kelsey Hammer has joined the CliftonLarsonAllen Alexandria office, a national professional services firm delivering integrated advisory, outsourcing and public accounting, as an intern working in tax and assurance areas. Hammer attends the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks,...
January 29, 2016 - 12:00am
January 22, 2016
On the Street - Jan. 22, 2016
• Larry Zavadil and Justin Zavadil, father and son executives from American Solutions for Business, were named to the 2015 Power 50, a listing of prominent executives in the advertising specialty market. As founder and CEO, L. Zavadil has led American Solutions for Business to become...
January 22, 2016 - 12:00am
January 15, 2016
Caring Hands Dental Clinic wins local community award
Runestone Electric Association's (REA) Operation Round Up Program named Caring Hands Dental Clinic of Alexandria as the winner of the local 2015...
January 15, 2016 - 12:00am
January 8, 2016
On the Street - Jan. 8, 2016
• Matt Velline joined Edina Realty on Sept. 1. Velline has 15 years of experience in real estate and mortgage lending. Along with vast industry knowledge, he focuses on the individual needs of sellers and buyers in the Alexandria lakes area.
January 8, 2016 - 12:00am
December 30, 2015
Commissioner's award recognizes Ecumen Awakenings
Minnesota Department of Human Services Commissioner Lucinda Jesson recently honored seven programs from across the state for their outstanding contributions to human services clients, including Ecumen Awakenings. Recipients of the 2015 Commissioner's Circle of Excellence Awards were...
December 30, 2015 - 12:00am
ON THE STREET - Dec. 30, 2015
Following are local business items:
December 30, 2015 - 12:00am
December 23, 2015
ATCC Foundation names Philanthropists of the Year
The Alexandria Technical and Community College (ATCC) Foundation recently honored Jan Doebbert as Philanthropist of the Year and Ziegler/Cat,...
December 23, 2015 - 12:00am
December 18, 2015
On the Street (Dec. 18, 2015)
• Alexandria attorney Gary Fuchs was named a Minnesota Super Lawyer for the 10th consecutive year. Approximately 5 percent of Minnesota lawyers are recognized as Super Lawyers in the annual voting by their peers. Fuchs has been certified by the Minnesota Bar Association as a real...
December 18, 2015 - 12:00am
December 11, 2015
On the Street - Dec. 11, 2015
• Lucillia DiCenso is a new violin teacher at Carlson Music Center in Alexandria. With nine years of experience, she specializes in classical music and attends Alexandria Area High School. She has competed in Minnesota State High School League’s Solo Ensemble Contest, been invited...
December 11, 2015 - 12:00am
November 26, 2015
ON THE STREET (Nov. 27, 2015)
• The My School Spirit ATM and Check Card program offered through Gate City Bank has raised nearly $5,000 for participating schools, including Alexandria Area High School, within the first five weeks since its inception in late August 2015. All customers are given the option of...
November 26, 2015 - 12:00am