Skip to main content
Osakis celebrates Christmas Downtown
House in Evansville catches fire
Search for missing teen leads to three arrests in Alexandria
Light Up the Night!
County board OKs refunding of hospital bonds
Boys basketball: Cards falter late in loss to section power Detroit Lakes
Sports roundup from Saturday, December 20
Sports roundup from Friday, December 19
Sports roundup from Thursday, December 18
Pushing for a new identity
Extra warmth for the holidays
Music video shoot reset for Monday
Veterans associations assist food shelf
You're invited to Christmas dinner
A gift of love
Engaged - Owen and Krause
Births - Douglas County Hospital through December 15, 2014
Births - Douglas County Hospital through November 30, 2014
Engaged - Pachan and Konzen
Engaged - Boyle and Sartore
Pheasant summit: Habitat improvements needed on private land
Controlling the common carp
Pheasant summit: Focus on improving private land habitat
Spring turkey hunting applications being accepted
Recipe for success: A look a few favorite venison recipes
Mayme Hokanson, 96
Reanie Mrnak, 87
Melvin Paradis, 75
Donald Huwe, 82
Memorial Service - Carl Kremer, 67
Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down: Views by the Echo Press
It's Our Turn: Holiday birthday myths debunked
Letter: Turn technology off for child’s development
Letter: The value of a quarter has risen
Letter: No one else can do it for you
Photo contest features birds for all seasons
More wildlife habitat approved
Last minute gifts for the constant gardener
Greater protection for specialty crop growers
Grant money available for agriculture teachers
Marine Corps League collects "Toys for Kids"
Solar Skies to close in Alexandria
Just a Jaunt’s $500 passport winner announced
Slumberland helps families during holidays
New building will house plumbing company
Hires and Promotions
On The Street
Alexandria Fire Department
October 1, 2010
A hot event!
In celebration of Fire Prevention Week, the Alexandria Fire Department will hold its annual open house on Monday, October 4 from 5 to 7 p.m. at the fire hall. Cookies, coffee and juice will be served. There will be demonstrations and cash door prizes given away. A drawing will be...
October 1, 2010 - 12:00am
Cigarettes start roof fire
Alexandria firefighters were called to 108 6th Avenue East at 12:34 p.m. Monday after smoke filled the building, which houses Trends by Tami. The fire was caused by cigarette butts that were left in a plastic bucket on the roof above an upper-level apartment. The fire burned a small...
September 1, 2010 - 12:00am
August 20, 2010
Ears to you
Jameson and Ashtyn Molesworth were two of nearly 3,000 people who enjoyed the 4,000 ears of corn and 3,300 pork chops served during the 45th...
August 20, 2010 - 12:00am
June 9, 2010
Powerlines crackle during shed fire
Ashes from a fire pit are believed to have started a shed on fire at 607 5th Avenue East in Alexandria Thursday. When Alexandria firefighters arrived at the scene at about 12:25 p.m., flames were spreading quickly throughout the small structure, sending thick clouds of black smoke...
June 9, 2010 - 12:00am
May 7, 2010
Students learn about live-saving safety tips
Mark Bergerson of the Alexandria Fire Department showed children how to crawl to safety in the smoke-filled fire safety house during the annual Safety First Day Camp. About 400 5th graders participated in the event, which was held on April 29 at the Runestone Community Center in ...
May 7, 2010 - 12:00am
September 2, 2009
Fire damages garage on Nokomis
The Alexandria Fire Department responded to a garage fire last Thursday at a residence on North Nokomis. Around 6:15 p.m., the Alexandria Police Department received several 911 calls of a fire in a garage at a residence at 112 North Nokomis owned by Elvira Hughes. The fire was contained...
September 2, 2009 - 12:00am
August 21, 2009
Pork chop paradise
The Alexandria Rotary Club and the Alexandria Fire Department joined forces to serve 3,600 pork chops and 4,000 ears of corn at their pork...
August 21, 2009 - 12:00am
August 12, 2009
Fire destroys vehicle, damages garage
A 1996 Ford Explorer, owned by Richard Harjes, caught fire Monday night in the garage that Harjes is renting at the Carr Apartments at 515 22nd Avenue West, near Kmart. Alexandria firefighters responded to the scene at about 7:40 p.m. The garage, unit 16, sustained about $1,000...
August 12, 2009 - 12:00am
August 7, 2009
Event is a hit for charity
Changing things up didn't break the streak. Once again, the Alexandria Fire Department's team beat the Douglas County Law Enforcement team - this time, in a game of softball.
August 7, 2009 - 12:05am
July 31, 2009
Law vs. Fire: Law enforcement, firefighters to slug it out at charity softball game
Their bats are ready and their gloves oiled. Their teammates have been chosen and numbers picked. They have chosen their batters, pitchers, outfielders, infielders, basemen and umpires. Now all they need are the fans to clap and cheer them on. The Alexandria Fire Department and...
July 31, 2009 - 12:05am
July 24, 2009
Charity softball game planned for August 5
The Alexandria Fire Department and Douglas County Law Enforcement will be hosting a charity softball game this year - instead of the usual broomball tournament. The softball game will take place on Wednesday, August 5 at the Knute Nelson Ball Field. The game starts at 5 p.m.
July 24, 2009 - 12:00am