Public to get peek at city's 2018 levy Monday
Alexandria taxpayers will get their first look at the city's proposed 2018 budget and levy on Monday night.
The Alexandria City Council will hold a public hearing on the issue at 7:30 p.m. during its regular meeting at City Hall, which starts at 7 p.m.
Once the council approves a preliminary budget, it can decide to decrease it before taking final action, but it is not allowed to increase it.
Last year, the council approved a 2017 levy increase of 2.75 percent, which was one-quarter of a percent less than the $6.47 million preliminary levy. The city's 2017 budget was set at just over $11.8 million, or 1.8 percent more than the 2016 budget.
Other highlights on the council's agenda for Monday include:
• Presentation of 2016 financial statements.
• An update on a veterans memorial planned in Legion Park.
• A special event permit and proclamation supporting the 11th annual Taking Steps Against Domestic Violence Awareness Walk on Tuesday, Oct. 17 at the Douglas County Courthouse.
• A proposed electronic payment services agreement with Point and Pay LLC, which would allow the public to make credit card payments for city services at City Hall.
• Preliminary consideration of an ordinance regulating trailer and recreational parking.
• Planning commission recommendations.
• An engineering agreement for a parking lot at the Douglas County Fairgrounds and Runestone Community Center.
• An execution of a contract for Enterprise Resource Planning software — an item that's been tabled twice. The new system, estimated to cost $150,945, would be used for the city's payroll, budgeting, general ledger items, workflow and more.
• A proclamation recognizing National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day on Oct. 15.
• Items from the city attorney and city administrator.
Also, prior to Monday's meeting, the council will meet in a special meeting at 4:40 p.m. to discuss the electronic payment services agreement; hold an informational meeting with the Douglas County Board and School District 206 about a tax increment financing application from Unique Development LLC; and review the 2916 financial statements.
No action will be taken at the special meeting.