Weather Forecast


Enhanced Minnesota driver’s license available

The enhanced license and ID cards will be labeled as enhanced and endorsed with the American flag. (Photo provided by MN Dept. of Public Safety)

Minnesotans who take their annual fishing trips into Canada no longer have to worry about retrieving their up-to-date passports from their safety deposit boxes.

0 Talk about it

Minnesota has become the fifth state to offer enhanced IDs that allow travelling to select countries easier by land and sea. The other states include Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington.

For an additional $15, Minnesota citizens that are at least 16 years of age can receive an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) or enhanced identification card (EIC) that will allow them re-entry into the States via land and sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. It is important to know that the EDL and EIC will not serve as a passport while flying.

Only the U.S. Department of Public Safety Driver and Vehicle Services Division (DVS) can accept and process EDL and EID applications. Currently there are 14 DVS exam stations accepting the applications, including Anoka, Arden Hills, Austin, Bemidji, Detroit Lakes, Duluth, Eagan, Hastings, Mankato, Plymouth, Rochester, St. Cloud and Virginia.

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety would like to note that if a 65+ ID card is enhanced that it will no longer be a lifetime card and it must be renewed every four years.

Annie Harman
Annie Harman is a reporter for Echo Press and The Osakis Review. She grew up in Detroit Lakes and graduated from the University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire with a degree in print journalism and history in May 2012. Follow her on Twitter at annieharman
(320) 763-1233