Alexandria gymnastics: Cards send three to state
State Class A individual
Saturday, February 23,
11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
University of Minnesota
Three Cardinal gymnasts earned spots in the State Class A gymnastics meet this weekend at the University of Minnesota Sports Pavilion as senior Briquelle Bowden, sophomore Hannah Wendel and freshman Tahlia Bowden all earned individual spots.
Those finishes also gave the Cardinals the runner-up trophy at the Section 6A meet as Alexandria edged out Willmar by 2.25 points. Melrose claimed the title with 147.5 points and will advance as a team.
"What a weekend for the Cardinal gymnastics team," said head coach Becca Cederberg. "The meet started off with Alexandria headed to the beam, where they took two falls."
B. Bowden did qualify for state individually on the beam as she finished third overall with a 9.45. The top four individual finishes earned state berths.
"The Cardinals were determined to not let this affect the rest of their meet, and headed to the floor, where they hit five-for-five routines," said the coach.
Bowden again found an individual state meet berth as she finished first overall on floor with a 9.6.
"When the team headed to the vault, they hit well, but did leave room for improvement," the coach noted, "and that's where Willmar had an opportunity to hit. Willmar nailed the vault."
Willmar picked up the top two spots in that event, but the Cardinals still earned a state berth on vault as Wendel grabbed the fourth and final spot in that event with a 9.125.
"The Alexandria Cardinals headed to the bars last, and really shined," said Cederberg, "finishing their bar total nearly four points higher than Willmar."
That event produced another individual state berth for B. Bowden, who was second with a 9.575, and the Cardinals had two competitors finish just out of advancing as Wendel was fifth and T. Bowden was sixth.
The Cardinals earned two state spots through the all-around as B. Bowden was third with 36.975 and T. Bowden was fourth with 36.175.
Not only did the team earn honors at the Section 6A meet, but Cederberg was named the Section 6A coach of the year, and Cardinal coach Allison Vogel was named the Section 6A assistant coach of the year.
Last year, both of the Bowden sisters advanced to the state meet with Tahlia finishing 19th in the all-around, while Briquelle competed on the bars.
The state meet will begin with the first round at 11 a.m. on Saturday. The second round will be at 2 p.m.
SECTION 6A GYMNASTICS
TEAM SCORES - 1. Melrose 147.5, 2. Alexandria 141.25, 3. Willmar 139.0, 4. New London-Spicer 126.05, 5. Benson/KMS 124.85, 6. Litchfield 123.35, 7. Paynesville 119.125, 8. Morris Area/Chokio-Alberta 115.025, 9. Ortonville/Clinton-Graceville-Beardsley 93.9.
1. Hailey Mottinger, Wil, 9.450, 2. Cassandra Johnson, Wil, 9.375, 3. Jailyn Brinkman, Mel, 9.3, 4. Hannah Wendel, Alex, 9.125. ... 6. Tahlia Bowden 9.1, 23. Briquelle Bowden 8.35, 26. Rachel Sjostrand 8.25, 30. Anna Spanbauer 8.15.
1. Lydia Butkowski, Mel, 9.625, 2. Jailyn Brinkman, Mel, 9.4675, 3. Briquelle Bowden, Alex, 9.45, 4. Kayla Austing, Mel, 9.40. ... 6. Tahlia Bowden 9.1, 7. Hannah Wendel 8.8, 14. Jana Roste 7.725, 24. Bria Schueler 7.25.
1. Jailyn Brinkman, Mel, 9.625, 2. Briquelle Bowden, Alex, 9.575, 3. Lydia Butkowski, Mel, 9.3, 4. Mady Brinkman, Mel, 9.075. ... 5. Hannah Wendel 8.65, 6. Tahlia Bowden 8.6, 12. Jana Roste 7.725, 21. Bria Schueler 7.4.
1. Briquelle Bowden, Alex, 9.6, 2. Jailyn Brinkeman, Mel, 9.525, 3. Cassandra Johnson, Wil, 9.475, 4. Lydia Butkowski, Mel, 9.45. ...6. Tahlia Bowden 9.375, 7. Hannah Wendel 9.375, 16. Bria Schueler 8.45, 20. Anna Spanbauer 8.275.
1. Jailyn Brinkman, Mel, 37.925, 2. Lydia Butkowski, Mel, 37.457, 3. Briquelle Bowden, Alex, 36.975, 4. Tahlia Bowden, Alex, 36.175. ... 5. Hannah Wendel 35.95.