Weather Forecast


Fire destroys Evansville barn

A firefighter sprays water on a barn that caught fire near Evansville Wednesday afternoon. (Izzy Rusch / Echo Press)1 / 2
Sheep that were on the farm of Svetlana Fedje and Vladislav Connell were herded away from the fire. No animals were lost. (Izzy Rusch / Echo Press) 2 / 2

Fire destroyed a barn near Evansville Wednesday afternoon.

At 3:38 p.m., the Douglas County Sheriff's Office and Evansville Fire Department responded to a report of the fire at 20932 Horseshoe Road NW, Evansville, the home of Svetlana Fedje and Vladislav Connell.

When deputies arrived, they found a small barn, used to house chickens and sheep, was on fire. The Brandon Fire Department was called for mutual aid to assist in extinguishing the fire.

The fire was believed to be caused by a heat lamp located inside the barn.

The homeowner was successful in getting all animals out of the barn, according to authorities.

The barn is believed to be a total loss. Ashby Ambulance also responded to the scene in case there were any injuries.

Al Edenloff

Al Edenloff is the news and opinion page editor for the Echo Press. He was born in Alexandria and lived most of his childhood in Parkers Prairie. He graduated with honors from Moorhead State University with a degree in mass communications, print journalism. He interned at the Echo Press in the summer of 1983 and was hired a year later as a sports reporter. He also worked as a news reporter/photographer. Al is a four-time winner of the Minnesota Newspaper Association's Herman Roe Award, which honors excellence in editorial writing.  

(320) 763-1236