Weather Forecast


Fire damages garage on Nokomis

Echo Press photo by Celeste Beam The Elvira Hughes residence at 112 North Nokomis suffered damage last Thursday.

The Alexandria Fire Department responded to a garage fire last Thursday at a residence on North Nokomis.

Around 6:15 p.m., the Alexandria Police Department received several 911 calls of a fire in a garage at a residence at 112 North Nokomis owned by Elvira Hughes.

The fire was contained to the garage, which is not attached to the house.

The cause of the fire, according to a report from the Alexandria Police Department, is suspected to be from a deep fryer that was located in the garage.

The garage sustained severe damage and there was minor smoke damage reported to the house.

No one was reportedly injured.