Weather Forecast


Social Security questions and answers

Question: I'm planning to retire next year. I served in the Navy in the 1960s and need to make sure I get credit for my military service. What do I need to do?

Answer: You don't need to do anything to apply for the credit for military service. It is added automatically. For service between 1957-67, we will add the extra credits to your record at the time you apply for Social Security benefits.

For service between 1968-2001, those military service credits have already been added.

Read our online publication, Military Service and Social Security, at

When the time comes to apply for retirement, you can do it online at

Question: I have young children at home, and I plan to retire next fall. Will my children be eligible for monthly Social Security checks after I retire?

Answer: Monthly Social Security payments may be made to your children if they are:

• Unmarried and younger than 18.

• Age 19 if still in high school.

• Age 18 or older, who became severely disabled before age 22 and continue to be disabled.

In addition to biological children, legally adopted children, dependent stepchildren, and grandchildren could be eligible. For more information, read our publication Benefits for Children at