Volunteer opportunitiesA variety of volunteer opportunities are available in Douglas and Pope counties. For information, call the numbers listed with each below. To learn about additional opportunities, call United Way of Douglas and Pope Counties at (320) 834-7800.
A variety of volunteer opportunities are available in Douglas and Pope counties. For information, call the numbers listed with each below. To learn about additional opportunities, call United Way of Douglas and Pope Counties at (320) 834-7800.
United Way: November 29, volunteers needed for Mobile Food Drop at New Life Christian Church, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Alexandria United Methodist Church: Volunteers needed for community breakfast. Call Alex UMC at (320) 763-4624.
• Volunteers needed to assist in a high school small engines class; go through school subjects one-to-one with elementary students; bring district programs such as Masterpiece Art and Jr. Achievement into the classrooms; judge elementary science fair projects or assist with a one-time activity, Career Exploration Day. Contact Ruth Turner at (320) 762-5287 or email@example.com.
• Food service: Volunteers needed to serve holiday meals to students, November 15 and December 20.
E-mail Barb Larson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Lunch buddy volunteer: Male and female mentors needed for Alexandria youth in grades 5-6.
mn.us or (320) 762-3310, extension 4274.
• Peer support volunteers needed to meet with older adults in their homes weekly to provide support due to life changes, loss, loneliness or emotional concern.
• Respite program volunteers needed to spend 1-4 hours per week providing companionship and conversation to a care receiver.
Training is required for all volunteers. Call (320) 763-9084.
Minnewaska ECFE: Volunteers needed Monday through Friday 8 to 11 a.m. to assist in Pre-K reading stories, activities and games, teaching manners, social interaction and play.
Contact Cathy Kinney at (320) 634-4452 or email@example.com.
Salvation Army: Volunteers needed to ring bell for 2012 Douglas County Salvation Army Christmas Red Kettle Campaign, November-December. Call to schedule:
• Ring at Walmart: Dennis and Mike at (320) 304-2321.
• Ring at Kmart: Dave and Stuart at (320) 304-5248.
• Ring at Viking Plaza Mall: Art at (320) 763-5089.
• Ring at Elden’s Fresh Foods and Pete’s County Market: Roger at (320) 760-4262.
Someplace Safe Thrift Store: Volunteers needed to organize donations and other items in the store. Call Karen or Anna at (320) 763-4677.
WINGS Family Supportive Services: Volunteers needed in the following areas:
• Child care provider
• Clerical volunteer
• Facility support volunteer
• Family supervision volunteer
• Father’s program volunteer
• Fundraising events volunteer
• Graphic artist volunteer
• Young person mentor
• Technical support volunteer
• Transitional housing activities volunteer
• Women’s network volunteer
Call (320) 763-6638 or Pat Jernell at (612) 889-2600.