1582310 Public Notice - Alexandria Township Golf Carts Ordinance
Publish October 24, 2012
ORDINANCE NO. 126
AN ORDINANCE REGULATING THE USE OF GOLF CARTS ON ALEXANDRIA TOWNSHIP ROADWAYS
The Alexandria Township Board does hereby ordain:
Subd. 1. Definitions: For the purposes of this Ordinance, a golf cart is any self-propelled vehicle of the type and style designated for and commonly used by patrons of golf courses, but excluding vehicles commonly known as all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and defined as such by Minnesota Statutes §84.92 Subd. 8.
Subd. 2. Driving, Operating or Control of Motorized Golf Carts
With the sole purpose of traveling to or from the Geneva Golf Course, a motorized golf cart may be driven, operated or controlled on the rural residential roadways or shoulders of such roadways under the jurisdiction of the Township of Alexandria (not those under the jurisdiction of the State of Minnesota or Douglas County) and on Geneva Golf Club Drive NE between Liberty Roadway and the Geneva Golf Course, and only in strict compliance with this ordinance.
Subd. 3. Permits
1) No motorized golf cart shall be driven, operated or controlled on the roadways or shoulders of roadways under the jurisdiction of the Township of Alexandria unless the golf cart displays a valid, current and unrevoked permit issued by Alexandria Township for operation of a motorized golf cart on Township roadways.
2) The permit shall be affixed to the golf cart on the left of the rear bumper, and be visible at all times.
Subd. 4. Permit Issuance
Permits shall be issued by the Alexandria Township Clerk or designee. A permit application may be submitted to the Clerk for approval during regular business hours of the Township office.
1) Individual Permit. An Individual Permit may be issued to any person currently validly licensed to drive motor vehicles as defined by Minnesota Statutes, Chapter 171. No person whose license to drive is revoked, suspended, canceled or withdrawn may be issued an individual permit. Application for an individual permit shall include the full name and address of the applicant; the state of issuance of the applicant’s current driver’s license; the number of such driver’s license; applicant’s representation that such driver’s license is not suspended, revoked, cancelled or withdrawn; the date of application and applicant’s signature; the name of applicant’s insurance company; the number of the applicant’s insurance policy which policy shall comply with the insurance requirements under Minnesota law applying to motorcycles; and the date of expiration of insurance coverage for such vehicle. As a condition to obtaining an individual permit, for good cause, the Clerk may require an applicant to submit a certificate signed by a physician to the effect that the applicant is able to safely operate a motorized golf cart on the roadways or shoulders under the jurisdiction of the Alexandria Township.
2) Revocation of Permit. An individual permit may be revoked by the Alexandria Township Clerk if: 1) there is any material misrepresentation made in the permit application; 2) required liability insurance is no longer in effect; 3) there is evidence that the permittee cannot safely operate the motorized golf cart; or 4) a second conviction for violation of this ordinance has occurred within 12 months. The Alexandria Clerk shall issue a notice of revocation of a permit in writing and either hand deliver the notice to the permit holder or send the notice by certified mail to the address on the application. The revocation shall be in effect immediately upon personal service or three days after the mailing. A revoked permit must be removed from the golf cart immediately.
3) Permit Expiration. Permits shall be issued for a period of three years.
Subd. 5. Fees
An individual permit applicant shall pay the fee as set by Resolution of the Town Board from time to time, which fee shall be refunded if the permit applied for is not granted.
Subd. 6. Unlawful Acts
No motorized golf cart shall be driven, operated or controlled on the roadways or shoulders of the roadways under the jurisdiction of the Alexandria Township:
1) Between sunset and sunrise unless equipped with original equipment headlights, taillights, and rear-facing brake lights;
2) In inclement weather, when visibility is reduced or impaired by weather, smoke, fog or other conditions or at any time when there is insufficient light clearly to see a person or vehicle on a roadway at a distance of 500 feet;
3) Without prominent display of a slow moving vehicle emblem provided in Minnesota Statutes, Section 169.522, on the rear of such vehicle;
4) Without prominent display of the permit number permanently affixed to the vehicle, visible from the rear, with the numbers at least 1 1/2 inches high with a 3/16-inch stroke;
5) Without a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver, operator or controller, a view of the roadway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle;
6) Without required liability insurance coverage;
7) Contrary to any traffic law of Douglas County or the State of Minnesota, except those which cannot reasonably be applied to motorized golf carts, or are not applied, by reason of Minnesota Statutes, Section 169.045, Subd. 7;
8) Without a current, valid driver’s license; and
9) Without a current and valid permit, as provided herein.
Subd. 7. Penalty
Any person violating any provisions of this Ordinance shall be guilty of a petty misdemeanor.
Subd. 8. Effective Date
This Ordinance shall take effect and be in full force from and after its passage and publication.
NOW THEREFORE, Alexandria Township Ordinance No. 126 is hereby adopted this 15th day of October, 2012.
By: Bryon Alstead,
Chairman and Supervisor
By: Gregg Raisanen
Alexandria Township Clerk
Alexandria, MN 56308
Tags: legalsMore from around the web