1540361 Public Notice - School District 206 Meeting July 16, 2012
Publish August 24, 2012
BOARD OF EDUCATION
DISTRICT NO. 206
JULY 16, 2012
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of Independent School District No. 206, Alexandria, Minnesota, was called to order by School Board Chair Dean Anderson at 7:03 p.m. in the District Office Oak Conference Room, Alexandria, Minnesota.
School Board Members Present: Dean Anderson, Pam Carlson, Alan Zeithamer, Jim Hafdal, Jean Robley, Dave Anderson, Sandy Susag and (ex-officio) Superintendent Terry Quist.
Administrators Present: Julie Critz, Trevor Peterson, Susan Scarborough, Jill Johnson, Judy Backhaus and 9 visitors.
Motion by Dave Anderson, seconded by Susag, to approve the Consent Agenda as follows:
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
To approve the minutes of the regular meeting held June 18, 2012 and the Special Meetings held June 18, 2012 and June 26, 2012.
DISTRICT CLAIMS AND FINANCIAL REPORTS
To accept the financial reports and to ratify the payment of the June, 2012 claims.
To approve the following resignation agreements:
--Nathan Rudolph, Orchestra Teacher, effective 6/5/2012
--Sarah Randolph, Learning Resource Teacher, effective 6/5/2012
To approve the following employment agreements:
--Amy Staples, SPED teacher, effective 8/28/2012.
--Thomas Ellison, Industrial Tech, effective 8/28/2012
--Kerrie Speer, English Teacher, effective 8/28/2012
--Jennah Hawes, Administrative Assistant/Transportation, effective 7/16/2012
--Katie Thoennes, Custodian, effective 7/23/2012
MEDICAL LEAVE OF ABSENCE
To approve the following medical leave of absence:
--Leann Miller, Elementary Teacher, requests a medical leave of absence for the 2012-13 school year
To grant continuing contracts commencing with the 2012-2013 school year to the following people who have completed their probationary period: Angie Gasior - Elementary, Rick Larson - Industrial Technology, Tanya Jensen – FACS
THIRD YEAR PROBATIONARY CONTRACTS
To grant third year probationary contract for the 2012-13 school year to the following person: Jeremy Bydlon – Math
SECOND YEAR PROBATIONARY CONTRACTS
To grant second year probationary contracts for the 2012-13 school year to the following people: Amy Balcome - Elementary, Chad Gilbertson - Elementary, Krista Kirby - English, Adam Paasch - Art, Justin Song – Math
CO-CURRICULAR LEAD POSITIONS
To approve the 2012-13 co-curricular lead positions as presented (detailed list available at District Office).
To approve the elimination of the following position:
--Community Engagement Coordinator, Community Education Office
SCHOOL DISTRICT AGREEMENTS
To approve the following agreements:
--Agreement with Minnesota State University Moorhead for District 206 to provide student teacher supervision for the 2012-2016 school years.
--Service Agreement with Lakes Country Service Cooperative for District 206 to participate in the Insurance Pool, Wellness Program, Staff Development, Capital Outlay, Student Programs, and special education low-incidence services.
APPROVE FUNDRAISING ACTIVITY
To approve the following fundraising activity:
--Miltona Elementary School – 5K Walk/Run on July 21, 2012. Funds raised will be used for new playground equipment, student recognition and classroom instructional supplies
SCHEDULE SPECIAL BOARD MEETINGS
To schedule special board meetings on August 20, 2012 and August 23, 2012 to continue the process of finding and selecting a new superintendent.
ADOPT RESOLUTION RELATING TO THE ELECTION OF SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS AND CALL THE SCHOOL DISTRICT GENERAL ELECTION
To approve the following resolution:
RESOLUTION RELATING TO THE ELECTION OF SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS AND CALLING THE SCHOOL DISTRICT GENERAL ELECTION
BE IT RESOLVED by the School Board of Independent School District No. 206, State of Minnesota, as follows:
1. It is necessary for the school district to hold its general election for the purpose of electing three school board members for terms of four (4) years each.
The clerk shall include on the ballot the names of the individuals who file affidavits of candidacy on said general election during the period for filing such affidavits, as though they had been included by name in this resolution. The clerk shall not include on the ballot the names of individuals who file timely affidavits of withdrawal in the manner specified by law.
2. The general election is hereby called and elected to be held in conjunction with the state general election on Tuesday, the 6th day of November, 2012, between the hours of 7:00 o’clock a.m. and 8:00 o’clock p.m.
3. Pursuant to Minnesota Statutes, Section 205A.11, the precincts and polling places for this general election are those polling places and precincts or parts of precincts located within the boundaries of the school district and which have been established by the cities or towns located in whole or in part within the school district. The voting hours at those polling places shall be the same as for the state general election.
4. The clerk is hereby authorized and directed to cause written notice of said general election to be provided to the county auditor of each county in which the school district is located, in whole or in part, at least seventy-four (74) days before the date of said election. The notice shall include the date of said general election and the office or offices to be voted on at said general election.
The clerk is hereby authorized and directed to cause notice of said general election to be posted at the administrative offices of the school district at least ten (10) days before the date of said general election.
The clerk is hereby authorized and directed to cause a sample ballot to be posted at the administrative offices of the school district at least four (4) days before the date of said general election and to cause two sample ballots to be posted in each polling place on Election Day. The sample ballot shall not be printed on the same color paper as the official ballot. The sample ballot for a polling place must reflect the offices, candidates and rotation sequence on the ballots used in that polling place.
The clerk is hereby authorized and directed to cause notice of said general election to be published in the official newspaper of the school district for two (2) consecutive weeks with the last publication being at least one (1) week before the date of said election.
The notice of election so posted and published shall state the offices to be filled set forth in the form of ballot below, and shall include information concerning each established precinct and polling place.
The clerk is authorized and directed to cause the rules and instructions for use of the optical scan voting system to be posted in each polling place on Election Day.
5. The clerk is authorized and directed to acquire and distribute such election materials as may be necessary for the proper conduct of this election, and generally to cooperate with election authorities conducting other elections on that date. The clerk and members of the administration are authorized and directed to take such actions as may be necessary to coordinate this election with those other elections, including entering into agreements or understandings with appropriate election officials regarding preparation and distribution of ballots, election administration and cost sharing.
6. The clerk is further authorized and directed to cause or to cooperate with the proper election officials to cause ballots to be prepared for use at said election in substantially the following form, with such changes in form, color and instructions as may be necessary to accommodate an optical scan voting system.
GENERAL ELECTION BALLOT
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 206
NOVEMBER 6, 2012
INSTRUCTIONS TO VOTERS
To vote, completely fill in the oval(s) next to your choice(s) like this:
SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER
VOTE FOR ONE PER POSITION
POSITION NO. 1
VOTE FOR ONE
write-in, if any
POSITION NO. 6
VOTE FOR ONE
write-in, if any
POSITION NO. 7
VOTE FOR ONE
write-in, if any
Optical scan ballots must be printed in black ink on white material, except that marks to be read by the automatic tabulating equipment may be printed in another color ink. The name of the precinct and machine-readable identification must be printed on each ballot. Voting instructions must be printed at the top of the ballot on each side that includes ballot information. The instructions must include an illustration of the proper mark to be used to indicate a vote. Lines for initials of at least two election judges must be printed on one side of the ballot so that the judges’ initials are visible when the ballots are enclosed in a secrecy sleeve.
7. The name of each candidate for office at this election shall be rotated with the names of the other candidates for the same office in the manner specified in Minnesota law.
8. If the school district will be contracting to print the ballots for this election, the clerk is hereby authorized and directed to prepare instructions to the printer for layout of the ballot. Before a contract in excess of $1,000 is awarded for printing ballots, the printer shall, if requested by the election official, furnish, in accordance with Minnesota Statutes, Section 204D.04, a sufficient bond, letter of credit, or certified check acceptable to the clerk in an amount not less than $1,000 conditioned on printing the ballots in conformity with the Minnesota election law and the instructions delivered. The clerk shall set the amount of the bond, letter of credit, or certified check in an amount equal to the value of the purchase.
9. The individuals designated as judges for the state general election shall act as election judges for this election at the various polling places and shall conduct said election in the manner described by law. The election judges shall act as clerks of election, count the ballots cast and submit them to the school board for canvass in the manner provided for other school district elections. The general election must be canvassed between the third and the tenth day following the general election.
Vote on Consent Agenda:
AWARD CONTRACT FOR WORK SCOPE 32-B
Motion by Zeithamer, seconded by Hafdal to approve awarding Work Scope 32-B, Site Concrete – to Duncan Concrete for $278,762.00. This work scope was a re-bid from the May 31, 2012 Special Board Meeting awarding contracts for Bid Package #1 on the construction of the new high school.
CONSTRUCTION BID PACKAGE #2
Motion by Zeithamer, seconded by Hafdal to approve the issuance of Request for Proposals on Bid Package #2 of the new high school construction project.
DISTRICT STRATEGIC PLAN
Motion by Zeithamer, seconded by Robley, to approve the final overview of the District Strategic Plan as presented.
WORK AGREEMENT WITH EMPLOYEE GROUPS
Motion by Dave Anderson, seconded by Hafdal, to approve work agreements between School District 206 and the following employee groups:
--Food & Nutrition Employees for the 2011-12 and 2012-13 school years
--Secretarial Employees for the 2011-12 and 2012-13 school years
--Classified 12 Month Employees for the 2011-12 and 2012-13 school years
--District Cabinet for the 2012-13 and 2013-14 school years
--District Supervisors for the 2012-13 and 2013-14 school years
APPROVE THE RECALL OF STAFF FROM NON-RENEWAL AND UNREQUESTED LEAVES OF ABSENCE
Motion by Hafdal, seconded by Dave Anderson, to approve the recall of the following staff from Non-renewal and Unrequested Leave of Absence and that they be paid as per schedule:
--Earle Brown, Business Teacher, effective 8/28/2012 (recalled from unrequested leave of absence) .6 FTE
--Krista Kirby, English Teacher, effective 8/28/2012 (recalled from non-renewal) 1.0 FTE
--Jeremy Bydlon, Math Teacher, effective 8/28/2012 (recalled from non-renewal) 1.0 FTE
--Tanya Jensen, FACS Teacher, effective 8/28/2012 (recalled from non-renewal) .7 FTE
--Luke Erickson, Physical Education Teacher, effective 8/28/2012 (recalled from unrequested leave of absence) .7 FTE
--Randy Albers, Social Studies Teacher, effective 8/28/2012 (recalled from unrequested leave of absence) 1.0 FTE
--Adam Paasch, Art Teacher, effective 8/28/2012 (recalled from non-renewal) .5 FTE
--Rick Larson, Industrial Arts Teacher, effective 8/28/2012 (recalled from non-renewal) .3 FTE
--Katie Dummer, Social Studies Teacher, effective 8/28/2012 (recalled from unrequested leave of absence) 1.0 FTE
--Isabelle Navratil, World Language Teacher, effective 8/28/2012 (recalled from unrequested leave of absence) 1.0 FTE
--Aldon Struchen, Physical Education Teacher, effective 8/28/2012 (recalled from unrequested leave of absence) 1.0 FTE
--Angie Gasior, Elementary Teacher, effective 8/28/2012 (recalled from non-renewal) 1.0 FTE
--Chad Gilbertson, Elementary Teacher, effective 8/28/2012 (recalled from non-renewal) 1.0 FTE
--Amy Balcome, Elementary Teacher, effective 8/28/2012 (recalled from non-renewal) 1.0 FTE
--Justin Song, Math Teacher, effective 8/28/2012 (recalled from non-renewal) 1.0 FTE
Motion by Dave Anderson, seconded by Dean Anderson, that there being no further business to come before the School Board at this time; the meeting is adjourned at 9:10 p.m.
/s/ Jean Robley
/s/ Dean Anderson
Tags: legalsMore from around the web