Dick Keuhn named outstanding seniorDick Keuhn of Alexandria was presented the 2012 Outstanding Senior Citizen Award at the Douglas County Fair Thursday.
Dick Keuhn of Alexandria was presented the 2012 Outstanding Senior Citizen Award at the Douglas County Fair Thursday.
"Dick can be depended upon to be an active and valued contributor in whatever he becomes involved in," noted one of his nominators, Jack Anderson of the Smokey Timbers Foundation. "He is a 'doer', not simply a 'joiner'."
Keuhn has been involved in numerous volunteer efforts over the years, including the following:
• Played a major role in the orchestration of the rescue of Smokey Timbers Camp in 2003. He served as a board director and guided the efforts to make the camp a thriving youth and family recreational and environmental education resource for West Central Minnesota.
• Has been an active member of the Douglas County Lakes Association and Lake Miltona Association, serving in leadership roles with both entities to work toward preserving area lakes.
• Has been active with Team Miltona, working to bring businesses into the Miltona area.
• Has been an active member at Faith Community Church in Miltona, serving on the parish council, vision and mission committee and stewardship council, as well as other committees.
• Served as Awake the Lakes Heritage Foundation co-chair.
• Was a member of the Douglas County Comprehensive Plan, the Douglas County Hospital Board nomination committee, and the Douglas County Water Plan Task Force.
Keuhn was named the Minnesota Credit Union Network Outstanding Volunteer 2001 and was a Jefferson Award Finalist in 2012.
Despite the fact that Keuhn has been battling pancreatic cancer the past two years, he has not slowed in involvement or willingness to work.
"Those who know Dick know that everything he does he does out of the goodness of his heart and the dedication he has to the betterment of our community," noted Kari van Wakeren, pastor at Faith Lutheran Church. "He never seeks any recognition in return. Dick simply has a servant heart, recognizes the abundance God has given him, and seeks to share that abundance with others whenever and however he can."