More file for county boardAnd now there are 12. The races for Douglas County commissioner seats are heating up with two more candidates filing in the last few days.
By: Al Edenloff, Alexandria Echo Press
And now there are 12.
The races for Douglas County commissioner seats are heating up with two more candidates filing in the last few days.
The newest contenders are Charlie Meyer and Don Kortie Jr., who both filed for the District 4 seat.
The filing period runs through June 5.
Because of population changes and redistricting, all five county commissioner seats are up for election this fall and some of their jurisdictions have changed.
A primary election will be held on Tuesday, August 14 in districts that draw more than two candidate filings, which has already happened in Districts 2 and 3 and 4.
Here’s the latest list of candidates, as of Thursday morning:
• District 1 – Jerry Johnson (incumbent). The district includes the townships of Lund, Evansville, Brandon, Moe, Millerville, Leaf Valley, Ida, Urness, Holmes City and Solem and the cities of Evansville, Brandon, Millerville, Garfield and Kensington.
• District 2 – Norm Salto (incumbent), Jim Hafdal and James Stratton. The district includes the townships of Hudson, LaGrand and Lake Mary, the city of Forada and parts of Alexandria – Ward 1, precinct 1 and Ward 5, precinct 1.
• District 3 – Bev Bales (incumbent), Jerry Rapp and David Erickson. The district includes the townships of Miltona, Spruce Hill, Osakis, Orange, Carlos and Belle River, and the cities of Osakis, Miltona, Nelson and Carlos.
• District 4 – Paul Anderson (incumbent), Bill Dropik, Meyer and Kortie. The district includes Alexandria Township and parts of the city of Alexandria – Ward 1, precinct 2 and Ward 2.
• District 5 – Dan Olson (incumbent). The district includes three wards in Alexandria – Ward 3, Ward 4 and Ward 5, precinct 2.
Keep checking the Echo Press for filing updates. More information on the candidates will be printed after the filing period closes.