Area students are masters in mathEleven Alexandria 5th grade student teams competed in the Regional Math Masters competition held in Alexandria on April 27. Four of the teams placed in the top 10 out of a field of 36 teams representing 25 schools.
Eleven Alexandria 5th grade student teams competed in the Regional Math Masters competition held in Alexandria on April 27. Four of the teams placed in the top 10 out of a field of 36 teams representing 25 schools.
The team from St. Mary’s School finished in 1st place; Team 2 from Lincoln Elementary School (LES) placed 4th; Team 2 from Voyager Elementary School (VES) finished 7th; and Team 1 from Woodland Elementary School (WES) finished 9th.
The Math Masters of Minnesota competition is designed to promote excellence in thinking skills pertaining to mathematics and consists of three team rounds, three individual rounds and a fact drill round.
Along with St. Mary’s and three Alexandria District 206 teams placing in the top 10 of the team portion, several students received individual honors in the fact drill and individual problem-solving rounds.
Following are the winning teams:
• St. Mary’s School, 1st place: Parker Olson, Meagan Wentworth, Makia Krippner, Megan Vangaal, Lauren Russell.
• LES Team 2, 4th place, individual medallions awarded: Sydney Christenson, Jon Hubreb, Alex Jost, Jason Moorman, Macy Trousil.
• VES Team 2, 7th place, individual ribbons awarded: Mason Brandt, J.J. Foster, Luke Levasseur, Addison Rodel, Jack Westlund.
• WES 1, 9th place, individual ribbons awarded: Chris Bienusa, Jared Jost, Adam Klepetka, Wyatt Kluver, Kaylee Weigel.
Other teams that competed are as follows:
• WES Team 2: Cassie Clarstrom, Kendra Hardy, Olivia Kopp, Hadley Mikkelson, Yvonne Nyirenda.
• Carlos Elementary: Trey Anteau, Bryce Claasen, Patina Frovarp, Julia Magnuson, Joey Steidl.
• Garfield Elementary: Louis Bell, Beau Granning, Ford Johnson, Frankie Jost, Culley Landgaard.
• LES Team 1: Callie Craig, Max Henrich, Adam Hoeper, Molley McKay, Teigen Moritz.
• Miltona Elementary Team 1: Miranda Danielson, Susan Hart, Jordan Trenne, Elizabeth Wangen, Travis Yohnke.
• Miltona Elementary Team 2: Lynnea Luepke, Isaac Peterson, McKenzie Shamp, Hailey Smith, Dakota Zollner.
• VES Team 1: Brooklynne Albrecht, Noah Boraas, Trey Hoepner, Evan Lattimer, Wade Odland.
• • •
Of the 190 students competing, six District 206 students scored in the top 20 on the individual problem-solving portion. Receiving medallions were Jon Hubreb, 5th, and J.J. Foster, 8th. Receiving ribbons were Adam Kleptka, 11th; Jack Westlund, 16th; Teigen Moritz, 17th; and Dakota Zollner, 20th.
In the fact drill portions, three students scored in the top 20: Jared Jost, 14th; Adam Hoeper, 16th; and Teigen Moritz, 17th.