1412817 Public Notice - School District 206 Meeting January 23, 2012
Publish March 7, 2012
BOARD OF EDUCATION
DISTRICT NO. 206
JANUARY 23, 2012
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of Independent School District No. 206, Alexandria, Minnesota, was called to order by School Board Vice-Chair Dave Anderson at 7:00 p.m. in the District Office Oak Conference Room, Alexandria, Minnesota.
School Board Members Present: Jean Robley, Jim Hafdal, Sandy Susag, Dave Anderson, and (ex-officio) Superintendent Terry Quist.
Absent: Dean Anderson, Pam Carlson and Alan Zeithamer.
Administrators Present: Judy Backhaus, Julie Critz, Trevor Peterson, Susan Scarborough, Jill Johnson, Chad Duwenhoegger and 12 visitors.
Motion by Robley, seconded by Dave Anderson, to approve the Consent Agenda as follows:
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
To approve the minutes of the special meeting held December 19, 2011, the regular meeting held December 19, 2011 and the re-organizational meeting held on January 3, 2012.
DISTRICT CLAIMS AND FINANCIAL REPORTS
To accept the financial reports and to ratify the payment of the December, 2011 claims.
To approve the employment agreement with the following person and that they be paid as per schedule:
• Carrie Kalsbeck, Paraprofessional/Transportation, effective 1/9/2012.
To approve the following resignation agreement:
• Nancy Vaughn, Paraprofessional, effective 1/25/2012
CHILD CARE LEAVE OF ABSENCE
To approve the child care leave of absence with the following person:
• Laura Scegura, Learning Resource Teacher, projected due date is January 30, 2012 through the end of the school year.
MEDICAL LEAVE OF ABSENCE
To approve the following medical leave of absence:
• Leanne Miller, Elementary Teacher, Woodland, is requesting an unpaid medical leave of absence beginning February 3, 2012 through the end of the school year.
APPROVE FUNDRAISING ACTIVITIES
To approve the following fundraising activities:
• Jefferson Senior Social Classes – Dodge Ball Tournament, January 13, 2013; this is a Service Learning Project to increase awareness of hunger in the community and help raise money for them.
• Cheerleading Squad – Cheer Clinic for K-6 Students, February 11, 2012; profits would be used to offset the program costs and purchase supplies.
• Jefferson High School Boys Basketball Team – Alumni Tournament, April 7, 2012, funds raised will be used for the basketball program.
• Jefferson High School Boys Basketball Team – Youth Girls Basketball tournament, February 4-5, 2012 and Youth Boys Basketball tournament, February 18-19, 2012. Funds raised will be used for the basketball program.
APPROVE EXTENDED FIELD TRIPS
To approve the following extended field trip requests:
• Garfield Elementary 5th & 6th Grade – to Deep Portage, Hackensack, MN on February 7-10, 2012; for outdoor education.
• Jefferson High School, FFA Students – to the University of Minnesota on April 22-24, 2012 for State Competition.
DONATIONS AND GRANTS
To approve the following resolution:
RESOLUTION FOR SCHOOL DISTRICT 206 TO ACCEPT DONATIONS AND GRANTS
WHEREAS, the District 206 School Board encourages the support of the district’s educational programs through the funding and support of grant opportunities and donations that meet the goals and objectives of the school district;
WHEREAS, the school district will control and maintain all grants and donations to ensure that the interests of all students are met;
WHEREAS, the grants and donations listed below have been reviewed and approved by the administration of School District 206;
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, by the School Board of Independent School District No. 206, State of Minnesota, to accept the following grants and donations:
• Kurt Hansberry and Kathryn Fischer donated $1,200 to the District 206 Jazz Band Program.
• Evelyn Grandgenett donated $1,000 to the District 206 Band.
• Miltona Firemen’s Relief Association donated $5,000 to the Miltona Elementary School.
• Community Education received a grant from the Minnesota Department of Education of $3,830 to increase marketing efforts for GED services.
• The Lions Club of Carlos donated $2,000 to Carlos Elementary School for student activities.
• The Alexandria Redline Club donated $3,100 to the Alexandria Boys Hockey team for the purchase of new uniforms.
SCHEDULE WORK SESSION FOR SCHOOL BOARD
To approve March 9, 2012 for a School Board Work Session.
Vote on Consent Agenda:
APPROVE SCHEMATIC DESIGN FOR NEW HIGH SCHOOL
Motion by Hafdal, seconded by Robley, to approve the final schematic design of the new high school, as presented.
APPROVE 2012-13 CURRICULUM AND PROGRAM MODIFICATIONS
Motion by Robley, seconded by Susag; to approve the 2012-13 Curriculum and Program modifications for District 206 as presented
APPROVE RESOLUTION DIRECTING ADMINISTRATION TO MAKE REDUCTIONS IN PROGRAMS/POSITIONS
Motion by Hafdal, seconded by Robley to approve the resolution directing administration to make recommendations for reductions in programs and positions.
RESOLUTION DIRECTING THE ADMINISTRATION TO MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR REDUCTIONS IN PROGRAMS AND POSITIONS AND REASONS THEREFORE
WHEREAS, the financial condition of the school district dictates that the School Board must reduce expenditures immediately, and
WHEREAS, this reduction in expenditures must include discontinuance of positions and discontinuance or curtailment of programs, and
WHEREAS, a determination must be made as to which teachers’ contracts must be terminated and not renewed and which teachers may be placed on unrequested leave of absence without pay or fringe benefits in effecting discontinuance of positions,
BE IT RESOLVED, by the School Board of Independent School District No. 206, as follows:
That the School Board hereby directs the Superintendent of Schools and administration to consider the discontinuance of programs or positions to effectuate economies in the school district and reduce expenditures and to make recommendations to the School Board for the discontinuance of programs, curtailment of programs, discontinuance of positions or curtailment of positions.
The motion for the adoption of the foregoing resolution was duly seconded by Member Robley and upon vote being taken thereon, the following voted in favor thereof: Dave Anderson, Hafdal, Robley, Susag
and the following voted against the same: None
whereupon said resolution was declared duly passed and adopted.
APPROVE CALENDAR PLANNING CRITERIA FOR THE 2012-2013 AND 2013-2014 SCHOOL YEARS
Motion by Hafdal, seconded by Susag to approve the calendar planning criteria for the 2012-2013 and the 2013-2014 school years.
Motion by Susag, seconded by Robley, that there being no further business to come before the School Board at this time; the meeting is adjourned at 8:20 p.m.
/s/ Jean Robley
/s/ Dean Anderson
Tags: legalsMore from around the web