1257528 Public Notice - School Board Meeting April 18, 2011
Publish May 25, 2011
BOARD OF EDUCATION
DISTRICT NO. 206
APRIL 18, 2011
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of Independent School District No. 206, Alexandria, Minnesota, was called to order by School Board Chair Dean Anderson at 7:00 p.m. in the District Office Oak Conference Room, Alexandria, Minnesota.
School Board Members Present: Pam Carlson, Jim Hafdal, Alan Zeithamer, Sandy Susag, Dave Anderson, and Dean Anderson, and (ex-officio) Superintendent Terry Quist. Absent: Jean Robley.
Administrators Present: Judy Backhaus, Julie Critz, Trevor Peterson, Susan Scarborough, Jeff Jorgensen, Dave Hartmann, Jill Johnson, Rick Nelson, and 12 visitors.
Motion by Hafdal, seconded by Dave Anderson, to approve the Consent Agenda as follows:
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
To approve the minutes of the regular meeting held March 21, 2011.
DISTRICT CLAIMS AND FINANCIAL REPORTS
To accept the financial reports and to ratify the payment of the March, 2011 claims.
To approve the following retirement agreements with appreciation for their many years of service to the district:
* Jeff Carlson, Cook, Woodland, last day of work will be June 8, 2011.
* Carol Gaffaney, Administrative Assistant, District Office, last day of work will be June 30, 2011.
To approve the following resignation agreement:
* Lori Rice, Social Worker, Early Education Center and Carlos, last day of work will be June 9, 2011.
To approve the employment agreement with the following person and that she be paid as per schedule:
* Camille Trandahl, Cook, Woodland, effective April 21, 2011.
MEDICAL LEAVE OF ABSENCE
To approve the following medical leave of absence:
* Marilyn Girard, Cook, Jefferson - a medical leave of absence from the middle of March, 2011 through approximately June 8, 2011.
LEAVE WITHOUT PAY
To approve the following leave without pay:
* Karen Murphy, Cook, Jefferson - a leave without pay beginning the middle of April, 2011 through approximately June 8, 2011.
To approve the following fundraising activity:
* JHS Band Boosters - Raffle for U2 Concert Tickets, April 21-May 18, 2011
EXTENDED FIELD TRIPS
To approve the following extended field trips
* FIRST Robotics Team to compete in the University of Minnesota Robotics Competition in Minneapolis, March 30 to April 2, 2011.
* JHS Orchestra to Minneapolis March 13-14, 2011 to attend the Minnesota Orchestra Concert and a Broadway Musical.
DONATIONS AND GRANTS
To approve the submission of a grant request by Barb Larson to Second Harvest Heartland for a free summer meals program; and to approve the following resolution:
RESOLUTION FOR SCHOOL DISTRICT 206 TO ACCEPT DONATIONS AND GRANTS
WHEREAS, the District 206 School Board encourages the support of the district's educational programs through the funding and support of grant opportunities and donations;
WHEREAS, the grants or donations must meet the goals and objectives of the school district, and in some instances, a specific school program or activity;
WHEREAS, the school district will control and maintain all grants and donations to ensure that the interests of all students are met;
WHEREAS, the grants and donations listed below have been reviewed and approved by the administration of School District 206;
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, by the School Board of Independent School District No. 206, State of Minnesota, to accept the following grants and donations:
* Community Education received a grant of $400 from 3M to support the Japanese Music Ensemble as part of the Arts Midwest Tour.
* The Cardinal Athletic Foundation made donations to the following programs to assist in the purchase of supplies and equipment: $2,636 to Boys Soccer; $1,869.18 to Girls Soccer; and $722.96 to Weight Room.
* The Alexandria Red Line Hockey Boosters Club donated $4,146 to the Boys Hockey Program for transportation upgrades.
* The Eagles Club donated $1,050 to the Girls Hockey Program for expenses of the program.
ADOPT DISTRICT POLICIES
To adopt the revisions to the following Board Policies:
* 514 Bullying Prohibition Policy
* 614 School District Testing Plan and Procedure
* 615 Testing Accommodations, Modifications, and Exemptions for IEPs, Section 504 Plans, and LEP Students.
* 616 School District System Accountability
FIRST READING OF DISTRICT POLICY REVISIONS
To approve the first reading of revisions to the following policies:
* 506 Districtwide Student Discipline Policy
* 701 Establishment and Adoption of School District Budget
* 704 Development and Maintenance of an Inventory of Fixed Assets and a Fixed Asset Accounting System
* 705 Investments
* 730 Transportation of Public School Students
CHANGE DATE OF SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
To change the date of the School Board Reorganization Meeting from January 2, 2012, to Tuesday, January 3, 2012.
Vote on Consent Agenda:
AWARD BIDS FOR ROOFING PROJECT AND ASBESTOS ABATEMENT AT LINCOLN SCHOOL
Motion by Zeithamer, seconded by Dave Anderson, to award the contract for the Re-Roofing Project at Lincoln Elementary School to Herzog Roofing for $98,410.00.
Motion by Zeithamer, seconded by Dave Anderson, to award the contract for Asbestos Abatement at Lincoln Elementary School to Lindstrom Environmental for $262,000.00.
2011-12 CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT, DEFERRED MAINTENANCE AND HEALTH & SAFETY PROJECTS
Motion by Zeithamer, seconded by Carlson, to approve 2011-2012 Capital Improvement, Deferred Maintenance, and Health & Safety Projects as presented.
2010-2011 REVISED BUDGET
Motion by Dave Anderson, seconded by Hafdal, to approve the revised budget for 2010-11 as presented.
MEMO OF UNDERSTANDING WITH SECRETARIAL UNION
Motion by Dave Anderson, seconded by Zeithamer, to approve a Memo of Understanding with the Secretarial Employee Union regarding request for assignment to previous position during probationary period.
RESOLUTION RELATED TO TERMINATION AND NON-RENEWAL OF PROBATIONARY STAFF
Motion by Dave Anderson, seconded by Zeithamer, to adopt the following resolution:
RESOLUTION RELATED TO THE TERMINATION AND NON-RENEWAL OF THE TEACHING CONTRACTS OF PROBATIONARY STAFF
WHEREAS, Nicole E. Butler, Jennifer Durkee, Jamie Gilbertson, Julie Jensen, Tera E. Larson, Michael Lorine, Emily Mack, Kathleen T. Moore, Marlene Nelson, Stephanie M. Schmidt, Peggy Stowe, and Christina Truax are probationary teachers in Independent School District No. 206;
BE IT RESOLVED, by the School Board of Independent School District No. 206, that pursuant to Minnesota Statutes 122A.40, Subdivision 5, that the teaching contracts of Nicole E. Butler, Jennifer Durkee, Jamie Gilbertson, Julie Jensen, Tera E. Larson, Michael Lorine, Emily Mack, Kathleen T. Moore, Marlene Nelson, Stephanie M. Schmidt, Peggy Stowe, and Christina Truax, probationary teachers in Independent School District No. 206, are hereby terminated at the close of the current 2010-2011 school year.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that written notice be sent to said teachers regarding termination and non-renewal of their contracts as provided by law, and that said notice shall be in the prescribed format.
RESOLUTION PROPOSING TO PLACE STAFF ON UNREQUESTED LEAVE OF ABSENCE
Motion by Susag, seconded by Hafdal, to adopt the following resolution:
RESOLUTION PROPOSING TO
PLACE STAFF ON UNREQUESTED
LEAVE OF ABSENCE
BE IT RESOLVED, by the School Board of Independent School District No. 206, as follows:
1. That it is proposed that Lori A. Dodds, Judy Eng, Susan Flynn, Nancy Langner, Penny S. Perleberg, Laura B. Scegura, Caroline A. Slattery, Sarah J. Wagner, Katie Dummer, Aaron Korynta and Kari Warring, teachers of said School District, be placed on unrequested leave of absence without pay or fringe benefits, effective at the end of the 2010-11 school year on June 30, 2011 pursuant to Minnesota Statutes 122A.40, subdivision 10, and Article VII, Section 13, of the current master agreement between the School District and Education Minnesota-Alexandria.
2. That said proposed placement on unrequested leave of absence is not the result of the implementation of an education district agreement.
3. That written notice be sent to said teacher regarding the proposed placement on unrequested leave of absence without pay or fringe benefits as provided by law and said notice shall include a date for hearing if requested and be in substantially the prescribed format.
4. That each and all of the foregoing grounds of said notice are within the grounds for unrequested leave placement as set forth in M.S. 122A. 40, subdivision 10 and Article VII, Section 13, of the current Master Agreement between the School District and Education Minnesota-Alexandria, and are hereby adopted as fully as though separately set forth and resolved herein.
There being no further business to come before the School Board at this time, the meeting adjourned at 8:03 p.m.
/s/ Jean Robley
/s/ Dean R. Anderson