1219951 Public Notice - School District 206 Meeting January 24, 2011
Publish March 9, 2011
BOARD OF EDUCATION
DISTRICT NO. 206
JANUARY 24, 2011
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of Independent School District No. 206, Alexandria, Minnesota, was called to order by School Board Chair Dean Anderson at 7:00 p.m. in the District Office Oak Conference Room, Alexandria, Minnesota.
School Board Members Present: Jim Hafdal, Sandy Susag, Dave Anderson, Alan Zeithamer, Pam Carlson and Dean Anderson, and (ex-officio) Superintendent Terry Quist. Absent: Jean Robley.
Administrators Present: Judy Backhaus, Julie Critz, Trevor Peterson, Susan Scarborough, Jeff Jorgensen, Jill Johnson, and 9 visitors.
Motion by Dave Anderson, seconded by Carlson, to approve the Consent Agenda as follows:
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
To approve the minutes of the regular meeting held December 20, 2010, the special meetings held December 29, 2010 and January 3, 2011, and the organizational meeting held January 3, 2011.
DISTRICT CLAIMS AND FINANCIAL REPORTS:
To accept the financial reports and to ratify the payment of the December, 2010 claims.
To approve employment agreements with the following people and that they be paid as per schedule:
• Jennifer Johnson, Para-professional, Voyager, effective January 21, 2011.
• Sophie Mindach, Para-professional, Jefferson, effective January 20, 2011.
• Karen Olson, Parking Lot Security, Jefferson, effective January 3, 2011.
• Clay Sandmeyer, Custodian, Jefferson, effective January 17, 2011.
• Kara Swenson, Para-professional, Early Education Center, effective December 23, 2010.
• Todd Tolifson, Bus Driver, effective January 3, 2011.
To approve the following resignation agreement:
• Ann Haugen, Para-professional, Jefferson, effective January 21, 2011.
MEDICAL LEAVE OF ABSENCE:
To approve the following request for a medical leave of absence:
• Marilyn Girard, Food Service, a medical leave from November 18, 2010 through the middle of March, 2011.
To approve the following fundraising activity:
• Cardinal Dance Team & Booster Club - Selling Pizzas, January 25-29, 2011.
EXTENDED FIELD TRIPS:
To approve the following extended field trips:
• Nordic Ski Team to Rainbow Resort, Waubun, MN on December 27-29, 2010.
• Nordic Ski Team to Biwabik, MN on January 7-8, 2011 for Nordic Ski Meet.
DONATIONS AND GRANTS:
To approve the submission of a grant request by David Hartmann to the Minnesota State High School League Foundation for $4,550 in funds to provide a training session for students, coaches and advisors in the Activities Programs; and to approve the following resolution:
SCHOOL DISTRICT 206 TO
ACCEPT DONATIONS AND GRANTS
WHEREAS, the District 206 School Board encourages the support of the district's educational programs through the funding and support of grant opportunities and donations that meet the goals and objectives of the district;
WHEREAS, the school district will control and maintain all grants and donations to ensure that the interests of all students are met;
WHEREAS, the grants and donations listed below have been reviewed and approved by the administration of School District 206;
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, by the School Board of Independent School District No. 206, State of Minnesota, to accept the following grants and donations:
• The Early Education Center received a $3,000 grant from Lakes & Prairies Community Action Partnerships and a $3,000 donation from the Douglas County Early Childhood Initiative to provide Teacher Child Interaction Training for up to 8 daycare providers.
• Community Education received a Lifelong Learning Grant of $1,750 from the Minnesota Humanities Center.
• Garfield Elementary School received a donation of $5,257.25 from the Garfield Fire Department for school activities and field trips.
• Garfield Elementary School received a donation of $1,000 from the Alexandria Rotary Club and $200 from Pat Vickerman for the purchase of books for the media center.
• Shelli-Kae Foster, Rick Nelson and Kala Fisher received a grant of $4,000 from the Community and School Recycling Initiative of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency for a project to increase recycling in District 206.
• Shelli-Kae Foster received a $1,500 grant from Southwest Initiative Foundation for students and coaches to attend YES (Youth Energy Summit) field trips during the 2010-11 school year.
• The Football team received a $14,000 donation from the Grid Club to purchase new helmets for the middle school football teams and new shoulder pads for grades 9-12 football teams.
To approve the following school district agreements:
• Agreement to Provide Consultation Services to Child Care Programs between School District 206 and the Lakes & Prairies Community Action Partnership, Inc., for the time period of December 1, 2010 through December 31, 2011.
• Agreement with North Dakota State University for District 206 to provide student teacher supervision and field experiences for the 2010-2013 school years.
ADOPT DISTRICT POLICIES:
To adopt a new policy, 809 Naming Rights Policy, and revisions to the following policies:
• 202 School Board Officers
• 206 Public Participation in School Board Meetings/Complaints About Persons at School Board Meetings and Data Privacy Considerations
• 207 Public Hearings
• 214 Out-of-State Travel by School Board Members
• 404 Employment Background Checks
• 406 Public and Private Personnel Data
• 415 Mandated Reporting of Maltreatment of Vulnerable Adults
FIRST READING OF DISTRICT POLICIES:
To approve the first reading of revisions to the following board policies:
• 532 Use of Peace Officers and Crisis Teams to Remove Students with IEPs From School Grounds
• 601 School District Curriculum and Instruction Goals
• 602 Organization of School Calendar and School Day
• 604 Instructional Curriculum
• 608 Instructional Services - Special Education
• 805 Waste Reduction and Recycling
APPROVE SALE OF PIANO:
To approve the sale of a grand piano to Carlson Music Center for $6,510.00.
Vote on Consent Agenda:
MID-YEAR REPORT ON 2010-2011 GOALS AND ACTION PLAN:
Terry Quist gave a mid-year status report on progress being made on the district's 2010-11 goals and action plan.
CURRICULUM MODIFICATIONS FOR 2011-12:
Motion by Dave Anderson, seconded by Hafdal, to approve the following curriculum and program additions and changes for the 2011-12 school year:
• Add "Top 20" (Wellness/PE Department) for grades 10-12.
• Add Travel & Tourism (Business Department) for grades 10-12.
• Add Clothing Textiles & Interior Design (FACS Department) for grades 10-12.
• Change Big Game Management to Minnesota Wildlife (Ag Department) for grades 10-12.
• Change Advanced Motion Graphics to Advanced Graphic Design (Art Department) for grades 10-12.
• Change Landscape Design & Turf Grass Maintenance & Management to Sports Turf Management & Landscape Design (Ag Department) for grades 10-12.
• Change Advanced Photoshop to Advanced Digital Art (Art Department) for grades 10-12.
* Add Vidyo Course Offerings
REVISED BUDGET FOR 2010-11:
Motion by Zeithamer, seconded by Carlson, to approve the revised budget for 2010-11 as presented.
RESOLUTION DIRECTING ADMINISTRATION TO MAKE RECOMMENDA-TIONS FOR REDUCTIONS:
Motion by Zeithamer, seconded by Dave Anderson, to adopt the resolution, as follows:
RESOLUTION DIRECTING THE
TO MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR REDUCTIONS
IN PROGRAMS AND POSITIONS AND REASONS THEREFORE
WHEREAS, the financial condition of the school district dictates that the School Board must reduce expenditures immediately, and
WHEREAS, this reduction in expenditures must include discontinuance of positions and discontinuance or curtailment of programs, and
WHEREAS, a determination must be made as to which teachers' contracts must be terminated and not renewed and which teachers may be placed on unrequested leave of absence without pay or fringe benefits in effecting discontinuance of positions,
BE IT RESOLVED, by the School Board of Independent School District No. 206, as follows:
That the School Board hereby directs the Superintendent of Schools and administration to consider the discontinuance of programs or positions to effectuate economies in the school district and reduce expenditures and to make recommendations to the School Board for the discontinuance of programs, curtailment of programs, discontinuance of positions or curtailment of positions.
ADVERTISE FOR BIDS FOR CONSTRUCTION AT LINCOLN AND DISCOVERY SCHOOLS:
Motion by Carlson, seconded by Susag, to authorize the advertising of bids for construction at Lincoln Elementary School and Discovery Middle School for the energy improvement projects.
Motion by Dave Anderson, seconded by Hafdal, that being there is no further business to come before the School Board at this time, the meeting shall adjourn at 9:10 p.m.
/s/ Jean Robley
/s/ Dean R. Anderson