1180744 Public Notice - School District 206 Meeting October 18
Publish November 24, 2010
BOARD OF EDUCATION
DISTRICT NO. 206
OCTOBER 18, 2010
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of Independent School District No. 206, Alexandria, Minnesota, was called to order by School Board Chair Dean Anderson at 7:00 p.m. in the District Office Oak Conference Room, Alexandria, Minnesota.
School Board Members Present: Jim Hafdal, Alan Zeithamer, Judy Florell, Dave Anderson, Jean Robley, Pam Carlson and Dean Anderson, and (ex-officio) Superintendent Terry Quist.
Administrators Present: Judy Backhaus, Julie Critz, Trevor Peterson, Susan Scarborough, Jeff Jorgensen, Jill Johnson and 5 visitors.
Motion by Florell, seconded by Carlson, to approve the Consent Agenda as follows:
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
To approve the minutes of the regular meeting held September 20, 2010, and the special meeting held September 20, 2010.
DISTRICT CLAIMS AND FINANCIAL REPORTS:
To accept the financial reports and to ratify the payment of the September, 2010 claims.
To accept the retirement agreement with LeRay Stratton, Custodian, Lincoln; his last day of work will be October 29, 2010.
CHILD CARE LEAVES:
To approve the following requests for child care leave:
• Denise Jorud, elementary teacher, a child care leave from approximately December 26, 2010 through March 11, 2011.
• Rhianna O'Shea, English teacher, a child care leave from approximately March 21, 2011 through May 18, 2011.
To approve employment agreements with the following people and that they be paid as per schedule:
• Jennifer Durkee, Learning Resource Teacher (LRT), Woodland, effective 9/27/10.
• Emily Mack, LRT, Garfield, effective 9/27/10.
• Marlene Nelson, LRT, Voyager, effective 10/11/10.
• Peggy Stowe, LRT, Lincoln, effective 9/21/10.
• Christina Truax, LRT, Miltona, effective 9/27/10.
• Paul Blom, Bus Driver, effective 9/17/10.
• Patti Nordby, Paraprofessional, Early Education Center, effec. 10/5/10.
• Robin Schuhmacher, Paraprofessional, Woodland, effective 9/20/10.
• Shannon Shute, Bus Paraprofessional, Transportation, effective 9/30/10.
• Beth Hartokolis, Elementary Teacher, Lincoln, increase from .50 FTE to 1.0 FTE effective 10/11/10.
To approve the following additions with the related expenses paid from booster club donations:
• Add two varsity assistant football coaching positions.
• Add an assistant boy's hockey coaching position.
• Add a part-time assistant dance coaching position.
To approve the following fundraising activity:
• Alexandria Cheerleading Squad - Homecoming T-shirt Sale the week of September 27-October 2.
• Alexandria Cheerleading Squad - Elementary Cheerleading Clinic on December 4, 2010.
• Leo Club - Challenge Fundraiser for UNICEF among 1st Hour Classes, October 25-29, 2010.
• 9th Grade Social Studies Classes - Set up informational booth about the H20 for Life School to School program this fall, hold fundraising activities like Minute-to-win-it contests, carnival game activities, trivia contests, & selling H20 items, and conduct a Walk for Water in the spring (November 2010 through May 2011.
• ECFE Advisory Board - Sell Herberger's coupon books this fall.
• JHS Jazz Ensembles - Hold Fall Harvest Ball on November 19, 2010.
DONATIONS AND GRANTS:
To approve the submission of the following grant requests:
• Grant application to the Minnesota State High School League Foundation for funds to offset district expenditures for activity programs.
• Grant application to Southwest Initiative Foundation for $1,500 for students to attend a youth energy summits.
And, to approve the following resolution:
RESOLUTION FOR SCHOOL
DISTRICT 206 TO ACCEPT
DONATIONS AND GRANTS
WHEREAS, the District 206 School Board encourages the support of the district's educational programs through the funding and support of grant opportunities and donations that meet the goals and objectives of the district;
WHEREAS, the school district will control and maintain all grants and donations to ensure that the interests of all students are met;
WHEREAS, the grants and donations listed below have been reviewed and approved by the administration of School District 206;
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, by the School Board of Independent School District No. 206, State of Minnesota, to accept the following grants and donations:
• Val Christopherson and her 4th grade classroom in Carlos received $1,015.36 in supplies as the recipient of "A Day Made Better" promotion at the Alexandria Office Max.
• The Miltona Firemen's Relief Association donated $2,800 to the Miltona Science Magnet School for Smartboards and projectors, and $5,000 for field trip expenses.
• Becky and Mitch Anderson donated six Easton Stealth Grip Baseball helmets, valued at $360, to the Alexandria Varsity Baseball program.
• The Cardinal Athletic Foundation donated $180 for an upgrade to the Soccer scoreboard at Lincoln.
• The Grid Club donated $7,980 to be used for two additional varsity assistant football coaching positions.
• The Red Line Hockey Booster Club donated $4,000 to be used to hire an additional assistant boy's hockey coach.
• The Dance Booster Club donated $540 to be used to hire an additional assistant dance coach.
To approve the following school district agreements:
• Service Agreement between School District 206 and Brian Nelson to serve as a Campaign Manager.
• Agreement with Lakeland Mental Health Center for District 206 to purchase psychology time from LMHC during the 2010-11 school year.
• Agreement between School District 206 and the Viking Sportsmen Club for District 206 transportation staff to use the Harry Bemo building at the fairgrounds as a drivers meeting room during the 2010-11 school year.
• Agreement with Minnesota State University-Moorhead for District 206 to provide student teaching experiences for MSU-Moorhead students from August, 2010 through August, 2013.
• Agreement between District 206 and Brandon, Minnewaska, Osakis and Parkers Prairie School Districts for District 206 to provide teaching services for blind/visually impaired students for the 2010-11 school year.
• Agreement between District 206 and Brandon, Evansville, Minnewaska, Osakis, and Parkers Prairie School Districts for District 206 to provide ECSE coordination for the 2010-11 school year.
ADVERTISE RFP FOR A CONSTRUCTION MANAGER AND A COMMISSIONING AGENT:
To authorize the district to advertise an RFP (request for proposals) for a construction manager and a commissioning agent for the Lincoln Elementary School and Discovery Middle School energy improvement projects.
Vote on Consent Agenda:
SITE IMPROVEMENT GOALS:
Motion by Carlson, seconded by Florell, to approve the Site Improvement Goals for 2010-11, as presented.
RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING ISSUANCE AND SALE OF BONDS:
Motion by Zeithamer, seconded by Hafdal, to approve the Resolution Stating Intent to Proceed and Authorizing Issuance and Sale of $5,820,000 Taxable General Obligation Alternative and Capital Facilities Bonds, Series 2010A (Build America Bonds-Direct Pay) and Providing for Credit Enhancement with Respect Thereto. (See official document file)
APPROVE GRANT AGREEMENT WITH STATE OF MINNESOTA:
Motion by Hafdal, seconded by Florell, to approve the Grant Agreement with the State of Minnesota for the Facilities Cost Share Project, which provides $58,221.50 in funding for the energy improvement projects at Lincoln Elementary School and Discovery Middle School.
Motion by Zeithamer, seconded by Carlson, to approve a contract with Paul Ringdahl of Ringdahl Architects for architectural services for the energy improvement projects at Lincoln and Discovery.
SPECIAL MEETING SCHEDULED:
Motion by Hafdal, seconded by Dave Anderson, to schedule a special school board meeting for November 18, 2010, at 6:30 a.m. at the district office to award the sale of bids on bonds.
Motion by Dave Anderson, seconded by Hafdal, that being there is no further business to come before the School Board at this time, the meeting shall adjourn at 7:58 p.m.
/s/ Judith Ann Florell
/s/ Dean R. Anderson