Volunteer opportunitiesA variety of volunteer opportunities are available in Douglas County.
A variety of volunteer opportunities are available in Douglas County. For more information, call the numbers listed with each opportunity below. Learn about additional opportunities by calling the United Way of Pope and Douglas Counties at (320) 763-4840 or by visiting the website at www.uwdp.org.
Alexandria School District 206 needs volunteers to:
• Assist students in the classroom with reading, math, spelling, etc.
• Bring puppets to life as they share important issues with elementary students.
• Share enjoyment of art ~ Discuss well-known artists and their paintings in 4th or 5th grade classrooms. Lessons provided.
• Demonstrate a fun hobby you have with elementary students.
Call Ruth Turner, (320) 762-3310 ext 4272.
Elder Network needs:
• Peer support volunteers to meet with older adults in their homes weekly to provide support due to life changes, loss, loneliness or emotional concern and to aid in restoring renewed confidence, vitality and self-esteem.
• Respite program volunteers to allow a caregiver to take a break from their duties by spending one to four hours per week providing companionship and conversation to a care receiver.
Training is required for all volunteers, Call (320) 763-9084.
Habitat for Humanity will have office volunteer orientation Tuesday, October 12, 10-10:30 a.m. Volunteers are needed to help with administrative duties at the office in Douglas County, including switchboard, clerical, database, marketing or special projects. Call Julie at (320) 762-4255, extension 102 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Knute Nelson needs volunteers to work in the coffee/gift shop. Morning and afternoon shifts available. Call Judy Thielke at (320) 763-1162.
Someplace Safe Thrift Store needs volunteers to help unpack bags and boxes, sort clothing, stock shelves, clean donations and help in general. Call Kathy at (320) 763-4677.
Someplace Safe needs volunteers in many different areas. Someplace Safe serves victims of domestic violence, assault and general crimes. Call Susie at (320) 762-1995.
United Way needs volunteers to help prepare coats for the coat distribution during the week of October 18. This involves picking up, sizing and packing coats. Volunteers also needed for the mobile food drop on October 25 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call United Way at (320) 763-4840.