Steffel takes 1st at speech eventThe Alexandria speech team finished in ninth place out of 30 teams at the Kimball Invitational on Saturday, March 13.
The Alexandria speech team finished in ninth place out of 30 teams at the Kimball Invitational on Saturday, March 13.
Five Alexandria speakers made it to the final round, made up of the top eight in each category. Here are those results:
• Katelyn Steffel took 1st place in Poetry, presenting Maya Angelou’s On the Pulse of Morning.
• Haley Thull was 3rd in Creative Expression, delivering a speech she wrote about her work at a senior citizen center.
• Katie Lovrien was 4th in Discussion with her contributions to task discussions on technology issues.
• Caroline Roers finished 5th in Great Speeches, presenting a speech by Sara Roy on Palestinian rights.
• Mackenzie Meier was 8th in Extemporaneous Reading, reading selections from a variety of short stories.
The team competes at Detroit Lakes on March 20.