Volunteer opportunitiesFollowing are several volunteer opportunities available locally. For more information, contact the individuals listed with each opportunity.
Following are several volunteer opportunities available locally. For more information, contact the individuals listed with each opportunity.
United Way is seeking volunteers for the following events. Call (320) 763-4840.
• Chili Feed/Silent Auction, October 6, Broadway Ballroom. Volunteers needed the day of the event and to help in pre-event preparation.
• Coat collection/distribution in Alexandria and Glenwood. Collection begins October 1; the distribution in Alexandria is Thursday, October 15 at St. Mary’s School cafeteria. The Glenwood distribution is Friday, October 16 at the Glenwood Lutheran Church.
Miracle Horseriders needs volunteers to help with fundraising and/or grant writing or to assist with riders getting on/off horses, riding in the corral or walking alongside or leading horses. For information contact Candy at (218) 267-5216 or e-mail email@example.com.
Lakes Area Humane Society has volunteer opportunities to do pet socialization, clean kennels and do yard work. Stop in at 3811 Nevada Street SW or call Sara at (320) 759-2260.
Let’s Go Fishing with Seniors wants volunteers to assist with participants age 55+ on fishing outings. Let’s Go Fishing with seniors provides the equipment, including the pontoon. Time commitment is two hours per outing. Call Jim Schoeberl, (320) 763-6698.
Nelson Gables needs volunteers to help in several areas. Call Linda at (320) 762-1113.
• Call bingo Saturdays for about one hour.
• Companion volunteers needed to play cards or games with residents, write letters for them and provide friendship. Activities can take place weekdays or weekends; time commitment is one to two hours per week.
• Tenants need drivers willing to accompany them to community events, medical appointments, etc. Time commitment is one to two hours per week.
• Share a talent with residents, such as singing or playing an instrument.
Alexandria Chamber of Commerce needs volunteers to help at the Rib Fest during the Awake the Lakes Celebration. Collect cash for rib vendors on Friday, May 22 from 5 to 8 p.m. Call Carol at (320) 763-3161.
Minnesota Lakes Maritime Museum is having a spring pre-opening clean-up May 9. Volunteers needed to spruce up the museum and get it ready for its annual opening. Call Bruce at (320) 759-1114.
Bethany Home needs volunteers for the summer to water and weed flowerbeds. Call Brenda at (320) 762-1567.