REA's Operation Round Up gives $12,300 to area groupsRunestone Electric Association’s Operation Round Up program has distributed more than $327,000 in grants to community-minded groups and organizations throughout the cooperative’s service territory since its inception six years ago.
Runestone Electric Association’s Operation Round Up program has distributed more than $327,000 in grants to community-minded groups and organizations throughout the cooperative’s service territory since its inception six years ago.
In September, 20 area organizations shared $12,300 in grants from Operation Round Up, a charitable-giving program sponsored by Runestone Electric Association (REA).
More than 65 percent of REA members allow their bills to be rounded up an average of 53 cents per month, amounting to $6.36 per participating member for the year.
Through this charitable giving program, the following organizations received grants recently:
• Fire departments and first responders: Ashby Fire Department ($500); Carlos First Responders ($1,000); Garfield First Responders ($1,000) and Morris Fire Department ($500).
• Youth: Alexandria Area Hockey Association ($250); Evansville 2009 Post Prom ($200).
• Scholarships: Alexandria Technical College ($1,000).
• Community: Pope County Families in Need ($500); West Central Dental Resources, Inc. ($1,000); Kensington Area Heritage Society ($500); Alexandria Literacy Project, Inc. ($500); Elk Lake Beach ($300); Alexandria Area Uncompensated Care Plan ($1,000); West Central MN Communities Action, Inc. ($1,000); West Central MN Communities Action, Inc. ($500); Habitat for Humanity of Douglas County ($1,000) and Lakes Area Professional Child Care Association ($250).
• Senior programs: Barrett Seniors Citizens ($300); Knute Nelson Foundation ($500) and Alexandria Senior Center ($500).
Participation in Operation Round Up is voluntary. Members that wish to participate, do nothing – their contribution will be included on future bills. Members who choose not to take part may withdraw, if they have not already done so, by notifying the cooperative of their decision at any point.
Area organizations are encouraged to apply for Operation Round Up grants. The deadline for the next round of funding is November 14. Application forms are available by calling Runestone Electric at (320) 762-1121 or 1-800-473-1722. Applications can be downloaded from the REA Web site: www.RunestoneElectric.com.
Runestone Electric Association serves more than 13,350 electric service accounts in the rural areas of Douglas, Pope, Grant, Stevens, Otter Tail, Stearns and Todd counties.