Alexandria: Leave a legacyA group of local nonprofit leaders have been collaboratively working to identify ways to increase the community’s awareness and understanding of charitable giving.
A group of local nonprofit leaders have been collaboratively working to identify ways to increase the community’s awareness and understanding of charitable giving.
Local nonprofits deliver vital programs and services for the community. It relies on local nonprofits to feed the hungry, deliver necessary health care or supportive services, preserve history, teach children and present the arts.
These nonprofits rely on the community for their survival and support. While many of them receive some support from government agencies, the majority of their funding comes from the public.
A common misperception is that people must have wealth to leave a legacy. Whether rich or poor, or somewhere in between, any gift can make a difference.
Gifts can be made in several ways, depending upon what charitable goals include. Money can be left to both a family and a favorite charity.
Charitable giving empowers others to do good deeds that advance the community. No matter the size of the gift, all will have a positive impact.
To leave a legacy, start with these simple steps:
• Have an up-to-date will (or living trust) that reflects charitable objectives.
• Contact a financial advisor and ask for help in establishing a charitable gift.
• Leave stocks, bonds, real estate, insurance policies and personal property to charitable organizations.
• Make preferred charity a beneficiary of life insurance, pension plan or IRA.
• Contact your charity and begin the conversation of how you might achieve your charitable giving goals and help the nonprofit extend their mission for greater benefit of the Alexandria area community.
The following 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations participate in and promote Leave A Legacy for the benefit of all nonprofit organizations working and serving the Alexandria area:
• Alexandria Area Community Foundation
• Alexandria Area YMCA
• Alexandria Literacy Project
• Alexandria Public School Education Foundation
• Alexandria Technical and Community College Foundation
• Caring Hands Dental Clinic
• Catholic Charities
• Douglas County Historical Society
• Ecumen Bethany Community
• Elder Network
• Habitat for Humanity of Douglas County
• Knute Nelson Foundation
• Lakes Area Humane Society
• Legal Services of Northwest Minnesota
• Lutheran Social Services of Minnesota
• Minnesota Lakes Maritime Museum
• North Country Food Bank
• Red Willow Arts
• Runestone Museum Foundation
• Rural AIDS Action Network
• Someplace Safe
• Titus 2 Homes
• United Way of Douglas and Pope Counties
• West Central Initiative
• West Central Minnesota Chapter of the American Red Cross
• Windmill Ponds
• Windmill Project
• Zion Lutheran School
Additionally, the following professional agencies participate in and promote Leave A Legacy to their clients for the benefit of all nonprofit organizations working and serving the Alexandria area:
• Dilly Zimny Insurance
• Johnston Law Office
• LifeSTAGE Wealth Management
• Thrivent Financial for Lutherans
For more information on the Alexandria Area Leave A Legacy initiative, contact any of the following Steering Committee members: Susan Scarborough, Alexandria Public School Education Foundation; Holly Witt, Bremer Bank; Katie Perry, Knute Nelson Foundation; Becki Jordan, Someplace Safe; Glen Tautges, Alexandria Area Community Foundation; Kelli Wendel, Habitat for Humanity of Douglas County; or Jessica Boyer, United Way of Douglas and Pope Counties.